Spheres and damping holes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Spheres and damping holes

Post by Stempy »

Having just puchased a set of suspension spheres (but not acc or as) for the Xant I was having a look at them prior to fitting and they all seem to have very small (damping?) holes except for the centre rear which looks quite different. Is this right? I'd like to know I have the right ones for the job before starting.[?]
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Yes it is Stempy, the (Hydractive) centre spheres are totally different as they get 'isolated' when the suspension switches over to 'firm' mode. Therefore the size of the hole is not that relevant.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

That's good then, but I also have a front centre which has a small hole, hence the confusion.
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

The front centre sphere should definitely have a large hole. What part numbers do you have?
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

The number on the sphere is N45332. Just looked up the sphere table and it seems I've been given the wrong one. I've got a 45332 ( front non HA estate ) where as I should have a 45322, a case of mistaken identity[8)], Looks like yet another trip to GSF. Just as well I checked. You'd think I'd have something better to do on a Friday night.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

I take it you got your spheres from the Feltham branch then.
I 'tried' to get a set of wipers for the wifes Picasso there this week. Knowing what problems I'd had with wrong parts being supplied from there before, I as always now, went equipped with the part numbers. Guess what, after being confronted with a rather surly looking man behind the counter who obviously thought "Bloody Citroen owner this will be too difficult" I gave him the part number because he was 'huffing and puffing' and yes, he came back with one front wiper and the wrong back one. By this point, he found it difficult to breathe so I told him to leave it as I didn't wish to see him expire at the thought of having to go back to the stores and get the parts I had asked for.
I must say I am getting to the point there now where the Feltham branch has become the last resort. I'm now going to try the new Greenford branch, but even there I had difficulty getting a couple of oil filters for an HDI. I almost got into an argument when I mentioned that there was a difference between the filter for an XUD and an HDI. "Nah mate the're the same, just that ones dearer, this one will do yer." I finally maaged to coax the poor chap to give me the correct filter but then when I got home I found that he 'upped' the price of them by a £1 a time.
That will teach me to want what I ask for!!
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

This was the Farnham branch, they are usually very helpful until you question their judgement.. They like to think they know your car better that you do, but it does depend on who you are dealing with. Mostly they a pretty good.
Ahh well, suppose I'd better go change the LHM then, wish me luck[:D]
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

I don't think GSF sells the correct front spheres for the V6 (which are different to the 4 cylinder HA spheres) That is what they told me when I rang and asked. I think that this is true of the corner spheres, although the centre sphere may be the same as the Active (not VSX) centre sphere which GSF do stock.
It is also possible that the Citroen spheres (if currently fitted to your car) are the type with a multi-layer diapragm, which do not leak like other Xantia spheres, and are likely to outlast the GSF spheres. The spheres with multilayer diaphrgms have 3 dimples around the bump at the end of the sphere.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

None of mine have dimples. I think I now have all the correct ones though, and if they're not right it's tough 'cos I'm fitting them anyway:)
We'll see what happens, the LHM is now nice and fresh and I think I've cured the leak. It certainly feels a bit different, the new spheres should bring it up to scratch.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Big thanks to Richard for the sphere assistance today. I feel like I've got a new car! An amazingly straight forward and quick job with the right tool. And to think I used to fear the sphere when I has my first Xantia. Darn sight easier than fitting new shocks.
Hope you have no ill effects from the LHM tasting session Richard.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Interesting comments on the GSF stores, I usually mail order from the Heathrow branch (some of the original A&D guys from Reading seem to be there?) and have used the Lincoln branch, which is always good but they don't seem to carry a complete stock. GSF themselves have had some not very flattering reviews on WatchDog or similar A&D were always brilliant with very knowledgeable guys on the phones and good stock levels, since GSF appeared on the scene things dont seem to have been quite so good, but that has to be balanced against being able to visit a fairly local store. I know this forum is linked to GSF and I don't want to upset anyone, as I would be really stuck without this forum, but what's everyone else's experience like?
Pete
________
DENTAL INSURANCE FORUMS
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:51, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Cheers Stempy, the LHM is being 'flushed down' as I type with the aid of a bottle of Jacobs Creek, thank you.
I'm pleased your car now rides like a Xantia should, enjoy it and let me know when you fancy a change!
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Just as a 'by the way', it looks as though 'xantiav6 Mike' is correct about the multi layer membrane thing. I've been doing a bit of detective work and my V6 spheres were originally multi layer, hence GSF not stocking pattern types, though the pressures/damping is the same as the older type so you can use the VSX type with no ill effect, as I've just proven.
The thing is, you can buy three pattern parts for the price of one Citroen original, so unless they last at least three times longer you're not saving anything, and the originals can still rupture, as we also found out today.
It looks as though Citroen now only sell multi layer membrane type spheres, which is probably why they're so bleedin' expensive.