Rattling,Knocking and Ear Bending!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

greggpask

Rattling,Knocking and Ear Bending!

Post by greggpask »

Hi,
Please can anyone give me some advice on what could be causing a rattling/knocking sound,eminating from below the vehicle when traversing over the poor state of the roads in this country?
I have recently had all the spheres replaced.Also i have been underneath and tried to reproduce it, by having a good pull and shake of everything that could make this noise.
It only happens on bumpy roads and is un-nerving 'Er indoors'. Causing me substantial grief.
Please help me on both counts.
Xantia 1.9TDSX 1994 95000 miles
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Sharp rattling sound over low-speed rough surfaces, tending to lessen at speed?
Front roll-bar drop links. Bang on time at 95k, as that's when I did mine. Easy-ish to change - just cut them off with an angle grinder if you can't get the nuts off.
One caution though: I replaced mine 12k ago with GSF ones, and they appear to be rattling again - I don't think I am the first to experience this. Jon advises that GSF will be getting some from the OE maker shortly, so might be worth hanging on for those, or biting the bullet and getting the genuine parts (I have yet to pluck up enough courage to ask the price at the local dealer...!)
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Yes, I, too have had problems with these.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

It sounds to me like one or both the drop links have busted on you. If your spheres have needed changing for a while the shock is absorbed either by your drop links or by the awinging arm bushes. Perhaps the bushes may be worn??
Have a look...
Paul
Marlon65
My Cars:

Post by Marlon65 »

Hi Gregg, were you able to fix this problem? You see I have the same problem with my ZX '95. If yes, what was the real cause? Thanks.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

firt check drop links if still there probably lower swivels,arm bushes dont offten rattel and klonk they just allow wheel to run out of true,so wears tyres,if you try to remove drop links,one end isnt a tapered swivel pin it might try to turn,so you have to hold it whilst undoing nut regards malcolm