xantia sink

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

basil

xantia sink

Post by basil »

Sometimes after a short while(30mins/few hours) when I start the front end drops,sometimes with a creaking noise.Then rises back up.Have done hydroflush/lhm change,h/c work ok(will rise up if I push down on bonnet then sink when I stop )Have accumalator tick of approx 50 secs,how soon should I change this?
thanks [^]
xan hatch 19td 95n 119k std suspension
________
WASHINGTON DISPENSARIES
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I suspect you have a similar problem to me in that you have slightly worn struts and they get stuck high after you have parked – the creaking noise is a good indication. Mine got to the point of oscillating up and down every few seconds on occasions.
What I believe is happening is this: the height is too high so the suspension looses pressure to try and bring the front down. As the struts stick and nothing moves, more pressure is lost to try and bring the front down. Eventually the lack of pressure is enough and the struts free, bringing the front down but now it's too low. Pressure is brought back to the system to raise the front. If the struts stick again (like mine did) the same happens in the opposite direction and pressure builds up too much before the struts move and the car ends up too high again - hence the oscillation.
Do a search on this site and you’ll find threads about lubricating the front struts. I did mine externally (under the plastic gaiter) and I haven’t had this problem again. I still get the occasional creak from the struts but if I swing the suspension from high to low and back again (usually fast enough to just exercise the front) it re-lubricates the struts and they’re fine again.
There are times of course when it is quite correct for the front of the car to drop on start up – when you have parked, switched off and then unloaded some heavy passengers from the front. In this case the front will be too high when you start up again and the suspension will quite correctly find its proper height.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Try lube up the front struts :
Set suspension to max height.
On the upper part inside wheel arch you have a protective gaiter on the strut. Unclip and lift up the gaiter, then grease the shiny rod appearing here.
Best tool applying the grease is your bare hands [:p][8D]
Known to solve most front strut problems.