Xantia temperature

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

egg

Xantia temperature

Post by egg »

Noticed a topic recently re Xantia temperature. The cocencus (if I remember rightly) was that a temp. of approx 75-80 was about right for a Xantia. I think that was a diesel.
My 2.0 16v has always run between 62-68, never any higher. The cooling fan is prone to cutting in very low doen. It's also very juicy.
I'm thinking mines not right. Would a new stat. be a good idea?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Not so sure about my HDI, tends to run about 90 going to 95 if pushed hard, if towing it occasionaly does go above this, yet the ZX doesnt! That sits happily all day every day at 80 no matter what im doing to it....
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

If the engine has ever overheated it could be that the stat has been damaged and also the temp sensor can suffer from over heating too. A neglected cooling system can become acidic which can also cause problems with sensors.
When the engine is cold, start it up and put your hand on the rad or top hose. If it gets warm almost straight away then the stat is probably jammed open, in which case the engine will never warm up properly.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by egg</i>

. Would a new stat. be a good idea?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I would think so. Your running temperature is too low.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">My 2.0 16v has always run between 62-68, never any higher. The cooling fan is prone to cutting in very low doen<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Taking <b>both</b> of these symptoms into account, it looks like your engine temperature is OK, but the gauge is reading low.
silverback

Post by silverback »

My Xantia Hdi seems to take a longer time to warm up than my previous 1.8 16v and when it does, the heater isn't as hot iether.
Would the thermostat advice given previously apply or is it that the Hdi engine runs cooler than the petrol as I have been informed?
regards
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

Hi there,
I agree that your first step is to renew the `stat
My 1.8 was running at those temps. too and I was beginning to suspect the sensor as all seemed to be working well,including fan cutting- in
and heater adequate.
I changed the stat and noticed immediate difference - temp now at 83
deg. and rising in town etc.
Unlike any broken thermostat I`d ever seen ,it wasn`t stuck fully open
but almost closed - I tested it with boiling water and it opened fully and appeared to close too but there was only a tiny gap which was apparently enough to allow a volume of coolant through large enough to reduce the engine running temp .
The spring mechanism seemed to be out of true too .
If this was the original stat I`m beginning to suspect another Citroen quirk!!
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

From my remembering, HDi has thermostat set to 83 deg. C, like 1.8 16v. Some other petrol engines had 89 deg. thermostat.
It's well known that diesel engines take longer to warm up, because of higher efficiency / lower fuel consumption