Xantia Brakes/Hydraulics (2.0i 8V hatchback)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris55000
My Cars:

Xantia Brakes/Hydraulics (2.0i 8V hatchback)

Post by Chris55000 »

[:(!]
Hi Everyone!!!!
Can anyone assist me with this one please?
A few days ago my brakes started to make that awful grinding you get when the pads are too far gone - trouble is whilst trying to get it
home from work in one of Birmingham's rotten traffic jams at Salford Circus the Stop light came on and I shortly lost steering power and the brakes, only just managing to get it safely on the drive!!!!!
I've got new discs, pads and fitting kit from GSF, my questions are:-
1) Can anyone suggest any tips for removing the stuck caliper guide pins?
2) As far as I can see in Haynes's lie book a special type socket is needed for the front caliper bolts, can someone who's done the job tell me exactly what size/type tool to buy to unscrew them?
3) At home I checked fluid in the LHM reservoir which was very low and steam rose from it - am I likely to need new calipers as well?
4) Is it essential to use a Piston Wind-back tool or are there cheaper methods/tools?
5) Can someone advise me how to use the Hydraflush sold by GSF and how much I'll need approx?
Sorry for a long post - I'm short of money due to poor health and compelled to do all the repairs myself!!!!! I've done conventional car brake systems no bother but knowing (by experience!!!) the dangers of hydraulic pressure loss in Citroens I'm anxious to avoid
the remotest risk of an accident or getting stranded away from home again due to hydraulic failure!!!
Many thanks,
Chris Williams
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

4) It isn't. You can use a screwdriver (or something similar), but be careful not to damage the dust sealing rubber
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Chris,
1) Big hammer? Try some heat, and try and use a punch the same size as the pin.
2) Torx T55
3) If the LHM is low there is a leak in the system somewhere - this is why the STOP light came on and you lost steering / brakes. Probably steaming as what little fluid was left was working hard. You need to find and rectify the leak - look for the big wet patch under the car - if you can't find one, investigate the carpet in the driver's foot well...
4) See above post
5) Hydraflush comes in 5 litre containers, which is about the amount you need! Remove the LHM tank from the car, empty it and clean it out, clean the filters, refill with hydraflush, bleeding through to the brakes. Run the car for 2000 - 3000 miles, then change it back to LHM. In order to get as much fluid as possible back in the reservoir put the car in low, and then unscrew the bleed screw on the pressure regulator about 1 turn ONLY (PR is down the front of the engine with the accumulator screwed onto it - bleed screw sticks out the front, and is only 12mm bolt in the area.