Citroen zx TD knocking sound

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Twiss

Citroen zx TD knocking sound

Post by Twiss »

hello every one, iam new to this forum. i've got a zx 1.9td and in the last 12months had lots of stuff replaced as follows :- glowplugs, brakes around, both suspension wishbones on both sides (includes the bushes as well)having them done got rid of most of the banging. shocks been tested (local garage said there fine), plus loads of other parts have been replaced. but after all that when i drive done bumpy roads there a knocking\banging sound on the drivers side. Had a look but can't see any thing wrong. Any ideas? Please help!!!!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Have you looked at the anti roll bar linkrods? ("Droplinks")? These can cause a banging/rattle over bumps if they are worn.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi (?)
Probably the drop link on that side - don't need much wear to make one hell of a clonk!
Why are you whispering?
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hah! Jon - beat me by seconds!!
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Thanks Guys for the info, i'll check it out tomorrow if its not raining[:D]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Only way to check ZX drop links is to remove them. If you don't then when you jack up the car they will hang down with the wheel and give the impression that they are OK. Not a big or expensive job to replace. The ends of the where the nut is have a 5 mm allen key head so that you can get them off, also there's a flat spot on the inner part by the ball end to get a spanner on. Forgot to mention the bottom ball joint is another one to check, agian not a big job to remove and replace.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

ball joints were replaced when the wishbones were done so i hope there ok cos the work was only done last week!!!!
Plus i have one other thing wrong with my car, sometimes i lose the power steering especially when parking but it only happens when i turn to the right never the left, if i stop what iam doing then put her in to neutral,foot off the clutch and rev the engine then 90% of the time i'll get the power steering back!!! i think it it could be one or both of two things 1:- the system needs bleeding and flushed cos there is a blockage or 2:- the rack needs replacing. could it be any thing else ? I love my ZX (info on car- 93 k reg 1.9TD Aura)
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Hi Guys. i am alittle dump when it comes to cars! when u say check the drop link do u mean the anti roll bar connecting link ? if not is it possible to take a pic of the part in question? sorry to be such a pain! My name is Vaughn forgot to mention it in the past
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Be careful - there is a piston in the steering ram which can work loose and . . . jam the steering!
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=4025
and
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... OPIC_ID=92
See Dave Burns post.
Jeremy
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

hello everyone thanks for the info on the drop link i have had alook and yer they need replaceing i'll hopefully get it done at the weekend.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Thank u <b>jeremy</b> that is exactly what happens with my power steering!!!!
i c if i can get a replacement ram asap as i need the car on the road
Marlon65
My Cars:

Post by Marlon65 »

Hi Vaughn, were you able to fix the knocking sound? I have the same sound in my lovable ZX '95. I think it was in 1999 or 2000 I had new front suspension on both sides (strut replacement only, coil spring not replaced). But the knocking or rattling sound never went out on rough roads. On smooth asphalted roads here in Kuwait it's as quiet as a sleeping baby. Please tell me how you fixed it if you did. Thks.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Marlon - have you looked at the bearing at the top of the strut? When these wear they can make a rattling noise which is very hard to trace but is annoying as its fed straight into the body shell.
Jeremy
Marlon65
My Cars:

Post by Marlon65 »

Jeremy, I didn't do it yet. Would you believe that the Citroen dealer here in Kuwait doesn't want to fix this old models (ZX '95). Although they are still selling most of the common spare parts, they stopped accepting repairs. I asked why, the staff said it was Mngt decision to do so because if they are not able to provide some spare parts, the car would have to be parked for sometime in their garage with limited space. And the customer would complain more due to the delay in ordering the spares.
Without the proper tools, I would not be able to do it easily. And with the hot weather here now, it's difficult. I plan to do it on a week end when a friend's car is available so that I can use the car to buy the spare in case I found out that it's the problem. Thks.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Hello Marlon65
Yes I did fix the knocking sound, it turned out to be wisbone bushs, and a my off side anti roll bar drop link.
Hope that helps
Twiss