ZX 2 b'ingo mk2 brake upgrade completed....hoorah

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rashmore

ZX 2 b'ingo mk2 brake upgrade completed....hoorah

Post by rashmore »

After a somewhat shaky start, I have finally completed the upgrade.
The car now goes better thanks to the Derv Doctor, and brakes are now much improved. Looking forward to trying in anger once bedded in [}:)]
After being given the wrong calipers (306), not realising I needed the hubs off the bingo [:I](hence try different disks to get to fit - pug607), then despite saying that the calipers are bosch and getting bingo mk2 green stuff pads, I was still given mk 1 bingo disks which was really annoying after having stripped the lot in the rain and he didn't have the right ones in stock (frustating as i needed the 607 disks i had had the week b4....) Fitted mk 2 ball joints as slightly different.
All I need to do know is get the tracking sorted, as car now feels like it on ice when going round corners....sticking a pair of Pirelli P5000 on the front (what i can get thro work..) as Uniroyal (stop gap as needed four) are now past their best and shan't ever be used again...
Next problem I foresee is suspension as front dive is more pronounced now that brakes are sharper, tendancy to roll a bit also....any recommendations. Will search forum, but had thought two routes - new strutts and springs, or maybe adjustable setup with poly bushes (got no fillings to fall out...) adjustable so can soften off when on jollies and need a relaxing ride...price may solve that choice tho
Cheers
Jon

Post by Jon »

Rich
Sounds like a bit of a mare. I'm guessing that the calipers you had were Blingo Mk2 with the Bosch system???? Didn't realise that they used diffrent hubs though.
When I did mine I used Blingo Mk1 Girling calipers and frames which bolted straight onto the ZX hubs as did standard 266mm Blingo/xantia discs. Only other mod needed was Blingo brake hoses. Everything else was a straight bolt on with no other mods needed.
If anyone else is converting ZX/306 to Blingo brakes, its the Girling calipers you need (>>RP9127) otherwise it becomes very complicated as Rich has just found out! [:p] All credit to you though for persevering.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Well when I tried with original hubs and the blingo mk2 (pug 607) disks everything seemed really tight, so went and got the hubs off the blingo. Although they seem very similar (hole ctrs etc) there must be a slight difference. Wazzing down with rain so got the Birminham Spanner out and swapped them. Tolerance still tightish but figured everything all the same now.... mk1 and mk2 blingo disks are different in thickness and depth.
Tracking way off - lasers not even on the rear wheel gauges, hence skid pan drive into work this am.
Brakes a bit stinky and hot after tyre swap, felt like sticking a little, but once pads wear in should be fine. Dble check everything free moving tonight, guess everything just settling in....
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Can you still get the Volcane wheels over the calipers? I'm running Volcane fronts & they are really close to the alloys.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Yup, that was a heart in mouth moment, but standard volcane alloys fit ok. Calipers a little close to inner wheel, but clear enough ( just glad i didn't have spanish made alloys - ref other thread, as they slightly different internally...
FYI, although Blingo looked like mk1 it had Mk2 underpinnings, hence bosch calipers and different disks, which if memory serves are thicker and deeper. Added new mk2 ball joints and hoses while at it.
Brakes better already, looking forward to trip to Hereford at the weekend [}:)]
Any thought on suspension upgrade - searching threads now.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I have lowered mine 35mm at the front on springs alone, and its fantastic, I lowered my Nova (hangs head in shame!) and it was crap. The springs on the front of the ZX are huge! It doesn't suffer 'nodding' like the nova did, sure its a bit choppy if you wazz over some bumps but it looks so much better. I have a pic on my website but will sort you out a better one.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

How much of an improvement did the springs make ? did you change dampers also. Have to bear in mind mine is volcane and lowered already....
Trip to Hereford at the weekend was fun [}:)] New tyres are better and brakes allow later application. Just need to get dive and lean sorted
Will look at your www [:)]
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

well its still rolls a little but nowhere near what it used to. It's a Elation so runs the Volcane style bumpers, the bottom of the bumper is roughtly 8 inches off the deck.
I haven't upgraded the dampers so the ride is still ok not teeth rattling.
I would recommend getting the rear lowered a little, I haven't and the headlights are at full adjustment and aparently still aren't sport on, but I have a boot build on the cards so this should help.
I have wondered about getting some upgraded dampers for the back, as it seems to bounce abit & I can only imagine it'll get worse when it the boot build it done.
Its a shame your not closer or we could have met up.
I'll get some more pics sorted so you can see. (also want to play with my new camera lol)