Rear window wiper interval x2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MrXantia
My Cars:

Rear window wiper interval x2

Post by MrXantia »

Oh no!
Today I got a brand new function on my rear window wiper. Normally I have 3 positions:
off = off
1.st click = 15 sec. interval
2.nd springpush = washer+constant wiper 3-4 wipes
But today I got:
off = 35 sec. interval!!!!
1.st click = 15 sec. interval
2.nd springpush = washer+constant wiper 3-4 wipes
Nice feature? Yeah, if it was raining slightly, but not in dry weather. Every 35 sec. I get a "screech" from the dry wiper rubber against the rear windows that could wake the dead.
The relay sounds right, like it is supposed to wipe every 35. seconds. The switch seems in good order (feels right).
Please any electronic wizzards out there who have any suggestions? How do I search for this fault?
Kind regards
Lars
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Pull the relay and see if it stops.
Sounds like a delay relay or earth fault to me.
//NiSk
MrXantia
My Cars:

Post by MrXantia »

aeeh... I dont know where to find the relay. Could you point a finger? Xantia 2 1.8 16V petrol.
Thanks.
Kind regards
Lars
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

Lars
Sounds as if the park/reset contact within the wiper motor could be faulty. Wiper operates, so relay OK. Timer works. Ounce dismantled you may find one of the 3/4 brass fingers contacts is failing to trigger and reset timer. Usually due to a faulty main shaft seal letting in water. Just a clean, relube and very carefully raise fingers to make better contact.
Have you actually got dry weather somewhere in UK!!
R
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

I had a problem much like this with a Xantia after wet carpets. There was condensation inside the relay in the tailgate. I dried out the carpets and dried the relay by heating it for an hour or so over an electric light bulb (to about 60 degrees). That fixed it and it didn't happen again.
Mike
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

On the Xantia break, the relay is located next to the wiper motor, in the tailgate - I'd guess that it's the same in the hatchback.
//NiSk
MrXantia
My Cars:

Post by MrXantia »

Nope, none of those problems were the reason. I changed the relay with the one from the front (same type) it still wipes once every 35 sec. The wiper assy has 2 plugs with 2 wires on each. when I measured I found 1 wire having 13.8VDC when the wiper switch was set to 1.st click and 7.5VDC when it was set to off. I think this could be some kind of missing groundconnection when the switch is turned off, but I haven't got a clue where to look for it.
Anyone got an idea? I think the ground connections are gathered a few places around the chassis? Must be in the dashboard area near the switch itself.
/Lars
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The tailgate is always a dicy area as far as cabling is concerned - you have wires running through rubber tubes between the main body and the tailgate. These are bent backwards and forwards every time you open)close the tailgate. There is a large risk that something will eventually break, either inside the rubber tube or at the cable anchorage. You could try running a separate (good) earth from somewhere else to the wiper relay and see if your extra speed disapears.
//NiSk
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Lars, if you know someone else who has a Xantia, ask them if you can try their wiper switch on your car. I think the problem is in the switch itself.
Regards
Paul[8)]