she's going down lads

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aboutyeabig
My Cars:

she's going down lads

Post by aboutyeabig »

<font face="Tahoma">Xantia 1.9 TD 1998, LX, facelift. 142K miles
Car has anti sink so stays up over night.
when it's turned on in morning the front lifts up straight away but the rear lets all the fluid out and sinks to the bottom!
Then about 1-2 mins gradually creeps up and up , then with one mighty effort reaches the top only to sink about 5-7 cm.
Sometimes it just doesn't even bother to lift up and I have to drive off with it trailing until it lifts up halfway down the road. [:(!]
what would cause such a phenomenon? as self levelling works fine front and rear. <font face="Tahoma"></font id="Tahoma">
Had the car almost a year now and it's always done it.
I'm only the 2nd owner</font id="Tahoma">
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

Does the suspension seem otherwise fine once it's pumped up?
I would suspect it doesn't always raise up because the height corrector is a bit sticky. I think I'm right in saying the rear anti-sink valve should be suspected.
What condition is the LHM? If it's anything other than perfect I'd drain and flush the system before refilling
aboutyeabig
My Cars:

Post by aboutyeabig »

Yes the suspension does work perfectly other than on start up.
LHM is in good condition.
is the anti sink valve easily replaced? should the sphere be changed also?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

This sounds like the anti-sink sphere needs replacing, rather than the valve. If the valve itself wasn't working correctly the car would sink overnight.
aboutyeabig
My Cars:

Post by aboutyeabig »

Does the front have it's own anti sink sphere?
I thought there was only the one at the rear?
If the sphere does need replacing why does is the front not effected the same way as the rear suspension?
Is it because its first in the system if you know what I mean?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The car has to sink before the anti-sink is needed. generally the fronts sink after the rear - so this may be the answer to your question.
The anti-sink sphere is there to top up pressure once the anti-sink valve opens - so it looks like your rear A/S sphere has gone - not the valve. Full instructions for changeing are somewhere on this site.
jeremy
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, I think it proove worthwhile, you getting under the car with Gunk in hand, give the height correctors front and rear a good going over with gunk, and while your at it, any other parts connecting together making sure you move the height adjuster inside the car a good few back and forth movements to loosen any crud. Then powerwash under neath the car giving it a good going over. Now the best bit, Gloves on, and give the height corretors a good greasing NOT oil. Paste the grease all over including the connecting rods. I have done this with my Xantia and it made a world of difference, make it a yearly task and the ride wil be perfect.
Regards
Paul
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

All I do to achieve the same result is to squirt the likely parts with spray grease. No doubt Wrinklet's method is better but mine works on my BX.
Jeremy
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I have tried spray grease myself, but it soon washes off, thick universal grease is better.
Paul
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I had this on my older Xantia, a new accumulator sphere was required and that sorted it out.
The rear 'anti sink' sphere isn't really anti sink, its an extra pressure reservoir for the rear brakes, and stops the brakes from making the rear sink as quickly.
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Agree with Kowalski - Same thing on wife's '95 TD, new accumulator sphere sorted it.
Rory