How to improve Xantia braking system?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Purpose of ABS is to stop wheels locking which does two things.
It helps steering under extreme braking, and maximises braking by preventing the tyres sliding.
My ABS does not lock wheels, and I have been grateful for it on several occasions when idiots have appeared in front of me on greasy roads. I really don't think anyone will be cadence braking in a crisis.
PJ
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

When me old man's BX went in for it's MOT the rear brakes gave such a good reading the mechanic thought the nachine wAS knackered (And they dont lock up under heavy breaking}. Anyone who say's BX/Xantia breaks are crap have severe problems on their car.
As for ABS we disconnected it from my dads BX 'H' reg as the system was ****e juddery and it breaks better without it. You get enough feel not to lock the wheels and that's on 165's(tyres).
If you are always over cooking the pads get higher temp ones the first few stops might be a bit hairy but after that your fine.
If your after a track day car spend a couple of hundred quid on a 16v Alfa 33, would make one of the V6 Xantias look like an invalid carriage round the corners and I don't think you'd even beat it to 60 you'd maybe pass it after 100mph but with the time you'd loose in the corners this wouldn't matter.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If you are always over cooking the pads get higher temp ones the first few stops might be a bit hairy but after that your fine.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Or, cheaper, take a serious look at your driving skills, and ask yourself <b>why</b> you need to use your brakes so much.
Or, if you get the opportunity, have a go in a 1927 Austin Seven [}:)]
Aaaarrrggghhh! Why is everyone starting to say 'breaking' when they mean 'braking'?? Is this to remain one of life's unsolved mysteries, like the threatened extinction of the word 'lose'?
Top left of this page is something about this being a 'Plain English forum'. Ho hum.
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Aaaarrrggghhh! Why is everyone starting to say 'breaking' when they mean 'braking'?? Is this to remain one of life's unsolved mysteries, like the threatened extinction of the word 'lose'?
Top left of this page is something about this being a 'Plain English forum'. Ho hum.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You are dead right uhn113x I should have used 'braking' but it was late at night and although my English comprehension may be 'A1' my spelling skills are 'A66'. Any way soon it's all 'gng 2 b M8' etc. at which point your apoplexy could have serious long-term consequences on your health. Point taken, my apologies!
An addendum - As well as a counter showing number of post and current grading maybe a spellogram could be added too, I nominate uhn113x to administer this scheme. You could also get the developers to add F7 and shift F7 features.[;)]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

1927? Think that's a Ruby with the 3 bearing crank. more prone to breaking than the bent wire crank. Bigger brakes, too, if I recall correctly. Think the Alfa might just edge it.
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

1927? Think that's a Ruby with the 3 bearing crank. more prone to breaking than the bent wire crank. Bigger brakes, too, if I recall correctly. Think the Alfa might just edge it.
CommY
No need to apologise - I just idly wonder why these things appear to be infectious. Those who have met me know that I am a long way from apoplexy - the phrase 'laid back' has been heard more than once[;)]
No spell checker will reject perfectly good words like 'breaking' and 'loose' [:(]
Problem is, I have this strange way of reading - if someone writes 'loose' I read it as 'loose'. Illogical, huh?
I think that those who use textspeak on forums are just lazy, though - 'I'll write this any old how - if you want to read it, you sort it out!'
Sorry, cannot accept nomination - already too busy with my chairmanship of the Society to Recycle Misplaced Apostrophes'
All this is written with a [:D][:D]
</rant>
Tom
<anorak>
No, the A7 'jewels' came out in August 1936, ch no 198578. Ruby, Pearl and Opal. The 3-bearing crank soon followed in 1937, ch no 249001, but was a bit of a disaster - much quieter, but broke on the centre webs.
The 1927 had the 1.125 inch crank - whipped like mad at 2200 rpm, and only occasionally broke [;)]
Very late cars had rod-operated brakes. Pre-1930 they were uncoupled - the footbrake operated the rears, the handbrake the fronts.
</anorak>
I have owned 5 Austin 7s.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Well, your secret's safe with me.
Oops! I should have read that more carefully! thought it was around 28 because the vans carried on unaltered from what I recall. Used to play with one years ago but I thought that it was a '32.
Dunno' what he's worrying about;
Xantiae have even better brakes than Austin 7s!
''''''(for recycling.)
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Thanks for the 's, Tom - I will soon have a batch to put in my pile of "its" that has been waiting parts; fortunately, supply always exceeds demand.
Austin tended to 'use up' bits on vans, so they are difficult to date. I actually learnt to drive in a '28 Seven - it was a shock to my system when I first drove a 'modern' with synchromesh, no ignition advance lever, and a clutch that wasn't an on-off switch [:D]
All the oleo cits I have driven have had superb brakes - when they do not, there is summat wrong somewhere.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Have you looked at your rears, the inboard pistons have a habit of siezing up.
Stewart
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Quote:-
Society to Recycle Misplaced Apostrophes'
Apostrophes' what? Or is that a deliberately and ironically misplaced apostrophe?
Pedantic Phil
PS The one that gets me is independAnt instead of independent!
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pwatson</i>

Quote:-
Society to Recycle Misplaced Apostrophes'
Apostrophes' what? Or is that a deliberately and ironically misplaced apostrophe?
Pedantic Phil
PS The one that gets me is independAnt instead of independent!
Much thought and deliberation went into choosing the precise format of the Society's name, Phil. [}:)][:D][}:)]
Irony rules OK!
Ebay should be a happy hunting ground for you - when I have an hour to spare, I count 'definatelys' and 'oriogonals' Sad, eh?
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

you could also check that the front calliper is sliding nicely on its guides, as the biggest cost saving exercise Citroen have gone in for in the brakes dept. is using single piston callipers on the fronts, the CX has 4 pot ones and their performance is great (at least until you've done a couple of heavy stops from a ton + at which point they are completely cooked [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] ) Just wish that the inner half of the CX calliper was not part of the hub otherwise I'd be looking for ways to fit them to the Xantia, although I've always found mine to be pretty good until the pads are nearly worn out, CX definitely better, also possibly GS although those skinny tyres were a weak point, unless of course it is snowing......
Pete
________
Chrysler lhs history
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:51, edited 1 time in total.