usual problems with xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mycool beard

usual problems with xantia

Post by mycool beard »

hi i have a r plated xantia that is due for its mot.
bought it a year ago and have done 30k since then.
ok hears whats wrong the front end bounces around,have been told its the sphires, is this dificilt to repair.is there any thing else i should look at/replace.
next ABS lights on.I have had all the wheels off and all sensors seem ok same question is there any thing else to inspect or do i need to bite the bullet and get it on a dionostic machine.
short of that its a nice moter and would buy one again (dark green V6 me thinks) shame the wife cant stop scratching or removing the indicators using parked cars.
one other thing that some one might know about i have a clicking noise inside some pipes,like a air lock.citroen said the pipes are power stearing and that they all do it, is this true.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

If the suspension is harsh then the spheres are the most likely candidate so it's a good place to start.
ABS light on is usually a sensor or corroded connector, you will need to check them with a meter, they should read around 1k ohm. Do a search for plenty of info on both these problems.
V6's are very nice, but you'll need you own oil well:-)
Clicking is generally the pressure regulator, if it's clicking more than once every minute you may have a tired accumulator sphere.
Finally, there's no such thing as a cool beard!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I would confirm Stempy's diagnosis. You need three new spheres on the front. One on each front wheel and the other down on the front of the engine, behind the radiator. Fairly easy to replace yourself. Use the 'search' feature on the top right of the page, type in 'sphere replacement', and loads of useful help will come up. Using GSF, cost will not be much more than £60.