ZX 2.0 16 valve

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

louis1
My Cars:

ZX 2.0 16 valve

Post by louis1 »

Hi
I have just bought a 2.0 16v ZX (1994). I have one problem with it, the guy i bought it off off says that the baffles in the petrol tank have come loose and when under quarter of a tank of petrol the car starts to spluter. Since i have had the car it has done this a few of times and like the guy siad it was only when under quarter of a tank of fuel.Has anyone every heard of the baffles going loose?
Thanks Louis
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Not heard of that im afraid. The 16v does seem to have issues with its fuel tank though. My gauge will go from 1/4 to empty on cornering and when competing at Goodwood before, it got fuel starvation down the back straight at 100+ when it had just over the empty line left, ie 2 gallons or so but misfired badly. Put some more in and it was fine for the next run
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Got to say early Vuaxhall Caviler's and Astra's had baffle problems. This only lead to a loud 'slopping' sound when cornering with any petrol in the tank. VX sorted this with extra baffles in newer tanks. But this sounds as though you need a new fuel filter as the tank may have some cr*p in it. Try draning and new filter. [:D]
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Firstly, let me welcome you to the ZX 16v owners club....not that one exists, yet!![8D]
Its a plastic tank, the baffles (if any) would have been moulded with the tank! So they shouldn't have come loose, corroded or other.
The stuttering, sputtering and hesitation could be down to the throttle potentiometer. I think they call it a throttle switch on this car because it performs two tasks.
If you are driving along around 30-40 mph and the car starts jumping around lightly, as if you were driving in a strong gusting headwind, it could be that.
Alternatively you could have a dodgy coil, that occasionally misses. The engine has four individual coils, one playing funny buggers might cause your symptoms.
Hope this is useful.[:)]
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

Thanks for all the suggestions, the splutteing has not developed again on the last few journeys. What i will do is change the oil and filter, fuel filter and coolant. Is there any tips you can give me on bleeding the system, I have done this many of times on the TD zx, there are 3 bleed screws that i can find, one on the rad, a gold hex screw on the thermostat housing (presuming that is a bleed screw) and one to bleed the heater matrix is this all of them?
Two more questions, first is, I have a spare genuine oil filter from the TD zx is this the same as the 16v engine?
The other question is the cam belt will need doing soon and I was thinking of doing it my self, so is there any pointers on "how to go about it" and how easy/complicated is it?
Thanks Louis
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Im sure theres 4 bleed screws from when I did mine as I remember falling on the ground laughing at what a joke it was compared to the 1 screw on the old 1.9 16v. May be 2 on the thermostat one? Will have to look under my bonnet, do the lowest one first and work up to finally the one up near the brake servo.
no idea on oil filter, maybe go into Halfords and consult their booklet things, probably though.
I had my cambelt done for me so cant comment sorry, probably a nightmare as the engine bays so crowded
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

GSF quote the same filter for the whole of the ZX range. Part number N12045 92 to 97. Same as the Xsara.