The next diesel engine for Citroen...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Kowalski: the same argument was made long ago for FOUR speed boxes.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

For those who don't know, most new top-of-the-line Mercedes will only be available with a 7 speed automatic gearbox (7G-Tronic). Quoting CarMatrix:
«This new automatic transmission from Mercedes-Benz will be the first ever 7 speed box to be fitted to a production car. From September it will appear in the V8 engined models from the german manufacturer including the S-Class, CL-Class, SL-Class and E-Class models (excluding AMG models).
The new technology is claimed to increase performance while improving fuel efficiency. The smoothness of the shift system is said to be smoother than Mercedes current 5 speed box. With 7 forward gears and the ratios being spread over a wider range the transmission can react more rapidly and flexibly. It also has 2 reverse gears with the higher ratio making acceleration safer in winter conditions by reducing wheelspin.
The unit is only slightly larger and heavier than the 5 speed box it replaces due to the lightweight magnesium alloy being used to manufacture the casing. This is another innovation brought to the roads by Mercedes-Benz.»
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

That Merc's first gear must be soooooooo slow. Talk about a crawler gear.
Kered

Post by Kered »

Now if that report said that it would be available from April the 1st - then I might believe it[;)]
Derek
crooser

Post by crooser »

i make that consumption 63.93mpg
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

With the short power band of TD motors the seven speeder with a smart ecu looks like a killer, imagine it dropping into the next cog right at the sweet bit SEVEN TIMES! If I cut away some of the inner wing it might go in the BX;)
Stewart