Hydrospazzy suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

Hydrospazzy suspension

Post by rossnunn »

on all the citroen's with the spazzy suspension, is there a limit to the weight it can pick up? I'd asssume one of the joints would probably fail first, but it must be one hell of a weight.
Just a thought that came to be at work today.
I know, I'm sad! [B)]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

About a ton in my case!I got a load of turf about easter time.Only about 1/2 a mile up the road.Thought i`d get the whole lot in one go.Put the rear seats down & loaded it right up.To my surprise(not!)the rear didn`t rise.On the way home,the rear mudflaps were dragging on the speed humps,& the front of the car was all over the place.NEVER AGAIN!!!About a week later the rear of the car was starting to get lower,untill about 3/4 weeks later it wouldn`t rise at all.Needed a new rear height corrector & accum sphere.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I have had half a tonne of chain in the back, steering was a bit light but otherwise looked completely normal (once I had put 55psi in rear tyres) I have seen a serially overloaded (used by a builder) estate blow a hole in a rear ram, partly corrosion probably.
try that on a bent metal spring car
Stewart
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Oleopneumatic suspension operates at a pressure of about a ton per square inch - I think the body would give way first!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

About three quarters of a ton of mixed ballast in the back,plus 4 or 5 sacks of cement, and another half ton in the trailer behind-like np above I thought I could do it in one go.
It struggled to get off the ground, so I shifted some of the trailer load to the back which then helped the car to lift, but once it was up the trailer could be rearranged and it stayed up all the way home, bottoming out on every bump, and braking needed a lot of anticipation!
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i once loaded mine up with loads of bricks and rubble not sure how much weight but it was a lot as when i was going down hill my brakes were crap, i'm sure no other car would have handles that sort of weight.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

HYDROSPAZZY[:D][:D][:D] That really really made me laugh out loud!!!
Funny how somethings make you laugh, Hyrdospazzy see its happening again!!!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Anyone "of an age" may remember some Citroen magazine adverts in late 70's/early 80's where they were showing a baby elephant being unloaded from the rear of a CX safari!
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

An Austin Metro good enough?
Was thinking about a CX Prestige in a scrappies a long time ago (was in the salvagable section, not the breaking), but wedged behind a Metro. It started first turn of the key (2400 injection), and slowly proceeded to lift up a the aforementioned Metro with the front bumper until we tried the gearbox out and moved backwards a few inches. BANG!!! as the Metro "fell" off the bumper....