ZX Clutch - yes, clutches again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FFX-DM
My Cars:

ZX Clutch - yes, clutches again

Post by FFX-DM »

Mine is on the way out to that big clutch heaven in the sky. It is starting to slip when I give it some welly up hills and I had a major slippage incident when I was trying to dump the drunken scumbag off my bonnet by swerving around as he amusingly attempted to cling on. Don't ask, but he lived to tell the tell (shame!).
So, whilst I have a bit of forewarning, does anybody know anywhere good and cheap (may be mutually exclusive) in the SW Herts area. What's that chap in Missenden called, Jon?
Any pitfalls to watch out for. I know I should get the thrust bearing etc done at the same time, as the cost of the part is small compared to the cost of the labour.
Tell me it'a nice simple job on a ZX and I just happen to live near to Clutches R us, the cheapest clucth place in the UK... you can but hope! [:o)]
Ali
1996 ZX 1.9D with 110,100 on the clock. Did I *really* do 20K in the last 12 months? [8D]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Louis Barbour
Rignall Garage
Rignall Road
Gt Missenden HP16 9AW
tel 01494 864112
I could not claim that this is a "cheap" garage but the standard of work is excellent.
The clutch should be replaced as a 3 part kit. You'll also be in for 2 litres of gearbox oil and 2 diff seals. I personally always replace the gearbox input shaft seal whilst the box is out, otherwise your nice new clutch could be ruined by oil contamination later in its life. Not everyone bothers though.
FFX-DM
My Cars:

Post by FFX-DM »

Hmm I have booked my car in with Bobo the monkey (not Louis Barbour, due to price) - actually they are not bad really, but now my car is behaving itself again. How can I definitively prove that it's the clutch before I hand over an arm and a leg to the garage? What else could cause rev blips on gear change and somewhat sluggish performance uphills (I took it up Froggat last weekend and had a LOVELY queue behind me, he he!). Ta!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

To test the clutch put it in 4th or 5th, rev the engine and let go of the clutch - engine should stall promptly - or slip!
What has probably happened is that the rivets have come to the surface on one side of the plate preventing proper pressure being applied to the linings - put it under load and only one side of the plate is gripping and not evenly compressed - so slip. The thing is bit like a brake - in that when it gets hot it fades, and a little slip makes it very hot and loads of fade.
I trust the pedal feels normal with some free play at the top to allow full engagement?
Another sign of slip is the soaring rev counter reading with a steady speedo.
jeremy
FFX-DM
My Cars:

Post by FFX-DM »

Well we tested it yesterday, up steep hill in 5th and apply hand break... no slippage at all. But still the strange little wibbles from time to time. Anyhow, I got a new clutch fitted today and the old one was incredibly worn and the bearing was ****ged too. It was right down to the rivets and there was only the mereest hint of friction material left on it. The other side was deeply scored and grooved. In fact I have no idea why my clutch was not slipping like a b*stard all the time!
Anyhow, it feels like a new car now, wheeeeee! Oh, except I stalled it about 5 million times on my way back from the garage and I have had to move my seat to take account for this strange novelty idea of having travel on my clutch pedal!
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Can you say roughly how much it cost to do? And how much the recommended dealer quoted? The clutch on mine seems OK, but its only a matter of time....
FFX-DM
My Cars:

Post by FFX-DM »

Citroen dealer in Berkhamsted (Roy Chapman - although they have recently gone over to the dark side and started selling Mazdas too) quoted me just over £500. Mr Clutch wanted £320. My local(ish) independant quoted me about the same as Mr Clutch, but they were nearer and I know them, and in the end the job cost me £280. Could have been worse. I have got the hang of driving it again (with no stalls).
Hmm, next to experiment with veggie oil mixed in with the Diesel....