Worst Headlights?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiatdsx
My Cars:

Worst Headlights?

Post by xantiatdsx »

Anyone think the Headlights on the early xantia are the worst ever!? they are so so dim (hope this isnt just my car or i may have a problem!)even my 2cv lights are brighter and thats with yellow bulbs!
I found this especially annoying when driving abroad with light deflectors on?! Is there anyway to improve them?
One thing that is also confusing is when i put the sidelights on I dont get the sidelights indicator lamp inside i just get the one above it, main lights, and on turning the stalk further it stays the same. The lights do go from side to main though outside. just not very bright. Anyone had the same problem? Or is it just the age showing?
Thanks
TIM
Jon

Post by Jon »

The headlights on the early Xantia's, upto 1994 are well known for being bloody awful.
Theres 2 options, either get a pair of Xantia headlamps for the 1994 to 1998 models, or else install 100w bulbs in your existing ones with a suitable relay.
As far as I can recall the Xantia only has a green warning light for dip beam, and not one for sidelights, assume this is to not encourage people to drive on sidelights?
Not so sure about the problem you have here then.
Anyone?
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Early dipped beam on an XM.
I retrofitted a candleholder on the top of the dashboard, it was an improvement.
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

I think the headlights were improved for 1995, my 1995 Xantia had quite reasonable lights, but with a very sharp cutoff, so some people thought they were no good.
My 1997 (mk1) Xantia has different headlights again, the lenses are a different pattern (less fluting in front of the dip beam reflector) They have a much less sharp cutoff, so light up signs much better.
My 1995 Xantia had a sidelight warning light, but the 1997 does not.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Dip on the ZX is none too hot.... was no big problem till (as a government plot against rabbits??) they stopped people from using properly-aimed and non dazzling fog lamps on country roads .... grizzle, grizzle, grrrrumph....
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I didn't think much of my 1998 headlamps with deflectors on when travelling abroad. I fitted Phillips Vision Plus bulbs which were quite a bit better.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Yep,
I have a '96 Xantia which a noticed recently was a '94 build[:(!]
It's headlights are bloody terrible. I drive the BX or CX given a choice if it's dark. My CX has vastly supperior lights to the Xantias Highbeam .... and I'm talking the CX with it's headlights on lowbeam[:0]
I going to eventually as soon as I find time fit new high wattage globes and relays. I did this to the BX and it's headlights are brilliant (literally [:D])
seeya,
Shane L.
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

I've done the retrofit of 100Watt globes and relays to my 1994 Xantia. A really worthwhile upgrade, even for those that cannot access 100Watt globes. I will email a circuit diagram for those that request it : nicolewis@optusnet.com.au
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Forth</i>

Dip on the ZX is none too hot.... was no big problem till (as a government plot against rabbits??) they stopped people from using properly-aimed and non dazzling fog lamps on country roads .... grizzle, grizzle, grrrrumph....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That surprises me, mine is excellent. Have you tried cleaning up the earth connections on the lights? It made a big difference to the amount of light put out. I've also changed the bulbs to GE Super Blues (which thankfully aren't blue !!!!), but cleaning the earths up made the biggest difference.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Yep got to say the lights on my old ZX td were a lot better than the first Xsara (98 reg) I had. The Xsara had new bulbs from Hal****s their own make, satisfactory is how I would put it. My new to me Xsara same year has great lighting. Again only a dash indicator for full beam, high beam front & rear fogs.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Takes me back to my old six volt beetle days, I need to fit some better bulbs and relays too, my latest BX is worse than the older ones? more carrots anyone?
Stewart