Project BX - Day one

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Project BX - Day one

Post by Jon »

Made a start today:
then ended up with this pile of bits
Progress so far today:
all 4 spheres plus accumulator removed
both handbrake cables removed
all discs and pads removed.
Diesel and air filter removed
battery removed
3 ABS sensors unbolted, tested and cleaned
New front number plate
2 new tyres on rims
Washed car (turns out its a colour called "Morello Cherry" [:(]
O/S/R suspension arm removed (see below)
O/S/R curly brake pipe cut off
O/S/R leaking suspension gaiter removed
Both rear calipers removed (see below)
LHM tank removed, drained, tank and filters cleaned.
Turns out ABS problem was caused by the fact that some clown has fitted a s/hand rear arm, only its the non ABS type! ABS doesn't work too well when theres no ABS ring on the hub and no housing for the sensor! On both rear calipers the bleed nipples were snapped off and the rear brakes were not doing anything.
S/Hand rear arm (ABS type!!!) and 2 rear calipers to be collected from Louis Barbour one evening this week, so its not the end of the world.
Tomorrow night I'm going to do an outer CV gaiter and start putting lots of nice new parts on.
Citroen BX "Loves driving, hates garages!" [:)]
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Impressive mound of parts Jon, are you sure you can remember how to put it all back together?[:o)][}:)] I like the look of that delicate toffee hammer in the second picture, I've got something a bit bigger if you need it........[:D]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Tru Dave, always been my problem (taking to bits no worries - putting back together.... thats another tale)
Good luck - having a clear out of my shed if anyone in need of a small case of AF spanners
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Don't forget to E-bay anything left over will you.
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

I'm looking forward to seeing the photo of all the leftover bits when you have put it "all" back together again!!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Ah yes, <i>that</i> hammer
Sorry, I swapped the second image.
Heres the hammer, ideal for light work. I had to gently tap one of the front discs away from the hub with it!
Used to use it for those stubborn 2cv kingpins!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Just been on E-bay and had a look at some BX's. There a nice GTI on there in silver but I'm more drawn to something a little tamer. The wife says it's because I've got nothing to mess with now since I changed the ZX for the Xsara. But saying that there's a Renault Fuego going for £15,auto GTX model with some spares (can feel me youth comming back in spades). Can't see how I'd get it home for little if no cost. Think I'll save my money for my upcoming hoilday see what pops up after this. Nice to see the Brum screw driver there.
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Goodness, you *have* been busy!
The paintwork doesn't look too horrendous from where i'm standing...
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Ah the enthusiasm you get when you get a new project, you make me feel guilty, I havent touched a spanner for ten days.
Stewart
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Is it just me that feels really jealous, that Jon's got a project.[V] And I haven't
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

That's a hell of a nice looking BX.
We only got the crappy 16trs automatics or 1.9litre BX's out here. No deisels at all [:(] It'd be strange to drive a BX that feels torquey (ie: as diesel) as opposed to revvy & eager or gutless as hell (16trs auto).
Paraniod I know where there's a cheap DS21ie BVH for sale (a project for you). Body apparantly looks terrible and the interior will be cremated, but it's a very solid aussie car underneath. Delivery could be a problem .....[}:)] [:D]
seeya,
Shane L.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Welcome back to the delights of BX motoring (and repairs), Jon. I don't think I've EVER seen one that colour before.
Jon

Post by Jon »

The colour is explained by the fact that the car was originally registered in N Ireland, where apparently you could get other colours for your BX. The colour is "Morello" and was a 1992/4 colour, I once owned a ZX Volcane K reg in the same colour.
No progress on project today, went shopping instead.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Perhaps you should be changing it's name to 'project moneypit'[;)]
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Blimey, makes me realise how Little work I do on my Visa, must get my finger out!
vaguely related: How much work approx in hours would it be to change a steering rack on a bx, just unbolt and slide new one in with everything else in place? Also if valve stem seals are going I guess its take the head off and fit new ones so for a garage probably a 5-6 hour job or more?