XUD9 Coolant Change Shocker !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deere3350
My Cars:

XUD9 Coolant Change Shocker !

Post by deere3350 »

Though I drive a 1996 306td I thought this post might be of some interest to Citroen XUD drivers out there, since coolant changes seem to have been discussed on this board regularly in the past.
Phoned up a franchised dealer today for a quote to change the coolant on my 1996 306td. The coolant has been changed at least every two years since new. The car has covered 186,000 miles and has never had the head gasket or heater matrix touched (Luck maybe ?).
The dealer advised that since the coolant is only two years old, I shouldn’t worry about changing it. They said that the only time they would change it would be if it was dirty or if it had been topped up with water and was under strength !
When I pointed out that I thought that a change was necessary in order to keep the corrosion inhibitor up to strength, they said that “it aint going to go anywhere” !!!
He did say that he would change the coolant if I was concerned, but that it would be a waste of money. I’ve never heard of a franchised dealer turning away business before !
For the record, I’m getting the coolant changed anyway (at a different dealer), but I’d be interested to hear comments on this one !
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

How can the dealer sell you a new one if he prevents your old one from breaking?
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

The dealer needs to change a matrix single-handed, involving removal of the dash, etc, etc.
He may then change his mind about neglecting coolant changes.
:-))
rg
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Whats the classic haynes quote, " should be left to a qualified citroen dealer " or something like that PHOOOEY[:(!]
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Just out of interest deere3350, how many radiators have you got through in all those miles?
Original hgasket and matrix after 186,000 - just goes to show how important regular coolant changes are.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

How much you paying?
deere3350
My Cars:

Post by deere3350 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by P 2501</i>

Just out of interest deere3350, how many radiators have you got through in all those miles?
Original hgasket and matrix after 186,000 - just goes to show how important regular coolant changes are.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm on my 3rd radiator at the moment. However, the original radiator was changed when the car was 18 months old, as the dealer burst it while changing the starter! The replacement radiator that they fitted (Made by Ordonez - is that a cheapy ?) lasted 4.5 years. The current Valeo radiator is now two years old and looks like new, so here's hoping that it'll last me another couple of years.
deere3350
My Cars:

Post by deere3350 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

How much you paying?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
£19.99. Maybe a bit steep for a coolant change but I've not got a home made header tank to attempt the task myself.
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

buy a big bottle of robinsons diluting juice , the large round one ,cut the bottom off then cut the top just bellow the threads.you now have an air tight header tank.ps drink the juice before cutting the bottom off
johntaylor
My Cars:

Post by johntaylor »

If you purchase a good quality branded anti freeze and have it checked yearly for viscosity it should not need to be changed as so often.
Perhaps this is a case of checking Citroens recommendation????
Dont have a clue what that should be....I should check it out myself!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

All in if you aint got the time to do the job your self or don't have enough confidence then £19.99 seems cheap to me. If I was up for a coolant change I'd go for it as well.