excessive vibration at idle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TomH
My Cars:

excessive vibration at idle

Post by TomH »

When parked at idle speed, in traffic or wherever I'm getting such a lot of vibration within the cabin that I never used to get! The door rattles very loudly and something else that sounds like it is behind the glove box. Anything loose like pens/coins etc makes a noise too. I know it's an old noisy diesel but only recently it seems to be a lot worse!! Just old trim that is looser than it used to be or worn engine? Due to other creaks and rattles (sounds like the whole car is flexible now, and grumbling from the rear suspension, my current cure is to turn the stereo up!)
and another long term thing I can't solve is a squeaking (like a mouse!) from the front wheels when turning right at fairly low speed after longer journeys where the car is quite hot. The brakes have been checked and are fine. [8)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Could the idle speed be a bit low, that makes em shake
Stewart
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

When the idle screw on mine is turned a tiny bit low, it shakes like an old bus when it gets warm.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Tom, if you very carefully raise the idle speed with the right foot does it all settle down again?
If so I would suggest you may have a faulty injector. The other thing that can cause roughness is a failed engine mount.
This would apply equally well to petrol engines too. A failed mount though tends to show itself when pulling away by letting the clutch judder too. Just a thought. R.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

thinking about it, I do get juddering in reverse, but fine in 1st gear. Probably a low idle... will look into that!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I'd go for the engine mount. Had an old ZX td and it felt like some one was shaking the car when at idel. Problem was the bottom mount, the round one bottom of the engine. Replaced all OK like silk, just a right bugger to change. [}:)]