Xantia HDi not rising from LOW to NORMAL position

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Thunderbird

Xantia HDi not rising from LOW to NORMAL position

Post by Thunderbird »

When I put my '00 Xantia HDi 110 in the lower suspension position, and then go back to normal position, front goes up, but rear doesn't.
I've tried several times, waited a long time and pushed the acelerator , and the rear didn't go up.
Now, if I change to the next position (higher than Normal), it goes up right away, and then, going to Mid (normal), it stays OK.
More info: Riding seems OK, spheres are all new; LHM has been changed 7Kmiles ago. Suspension is non-hydractive, 6 spheres (4 + ACC + AS).
Can yu imagine why this happens?
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

Hi T-Bird
My xantia behaved exactly the same after I bought it ,it was just a rusty/sticking rear height-corrector.
When you move the lever to normal the override mechanism will just not activate due to resistance in spring etc,but when you push it further,i.e. to next setting ,it will suddenly overcome this and raise the car normally
A good clean-up and oiling freed mine up and it was subsequenly greased to keep it operational- has been ok since.
Good Luck
On reflection having seen your car`s age/mileage it`s hard to believe that rust has affected the HC so soon but then it is very exposed.
Maybe others can confirm or refute this , but I still think the problem lies in this area.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Harry,
Do you know where I can find a picture on the web pointing the location of the rear height-corrector?
For that operarion, of cleaning and oiling, is it necessary to dismount it?
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

No , just get underneath it and if rusty tap linkage with small hammer to free it then copiously oil/wd40 all exposed metal.
There is a picture which I found on the forum - just do a search -and ye shall find ,it`s there somewhere
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

It`s easy to find - just get underneath with car on ramps or axle stands and look to the centre of where the rear axle would be and if you get a helper to operate the control lever you will see exactly what`s going on.
there is a picture of the HC itself at : http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=7262
IT`s attached to the rear anti-roll bar with a clamp,but it`s the mechanism operated by the control lever(override) which is likely to be causing your problem.Nevertheless the whole hc will likely benefit from a clean and lube.
Regards
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

The yellow circle
DO NOT GET UNDER THE XANTIA WITHOUT IT SUPPORTED !!!! You'll get splattered for sure.
good luck
Shane L.