sluggish 1.9td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

It does seem pretty pointless, the extra complexity of a turbo without the advantage of extra power. As far as I know, the fuel consumption was no better either.
I think the reason was that the old atmo 1.9D struggled to pass the tougher exhaust emission regulations for new cars, so they bolted on a light pressure turbo and a cat so it would scrape through.
andylal
My Cars:

Post by andylal »

I had a similar problem on my Xantia lack of power and lack of boost, check that its getting full throttle, wedge the pedal down and check at pump end to ensure that its getting full throttle, i adjusted the cable on mine, it appears to of had a new one fitted at some point and this was not adjusted correctly, it made a hell of a lot of difference.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

I would do as Jonathan suggested, first check the air intake system and then thrash the hell outta of it. I swapped engines over in mine a while ago (1.9td) and because the car it came out of had been driven 'carefully' I guess the turbo had filled with crap. The engine blew so much smoke when you put your foot down and the performance was half of that on the engine I had in previous. I just drove it in 3rd to the limiter 5500/5800 rpm for a few miles, sounds noisy and you think the car is going to blow up!! But it made the world of difference. No smoke and it is very pokey, it would beat my bros Audi A6 TDi (1.9) for 'off the mark' acceleration.
zxdyson

Post by zxdyson »

Will follow this one with interest as my TD dimension (135000 miles) is exactly the same i.e 37ish mpg and no power (darn site worse than my ZX TD even allowing for the extra weight). With the non-lucus pump veggie oil solution, isa this litterally 5L of ASDA type thing veggie oil straight into the tank? isn't it a bit thick?
Cheers, Mark
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

At the risk of sounding repetitive, a bottle of injector cleaner and a good thrashing!
Ron
zxdyson

Post by zxdyson »

Tried both of those (injector cleaner & thrashing) still get 37mpg and sluggish feeling. Definitely no holes in the air pipes, so am starting to think worn injectors (144000 miles), especially as startup is getting a bit more rough.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Rough startup is generally an air leak on the fuel lines or a glow plug problem. If it runs lumpily like one cylinder isn't firing and with a little reving smoothens out, its most likely a glow plug problem.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Vinny, does your Xantia have the ECU and CAT like mine. I have suspected for some time a problem with my throttle position sensor. This will affect the pump timing.
My middle exhaust pipe has got rotten at the rear joint. I'm due to have a new middle pipe without a cat so i'll be de-Catted. This should improve the exhaust flow and help the engine breath more freely. More power and MPG hopefully.
I'll let you all know what it feels like when its been done.
vinny180
My Cars:

Post by vinny180 »

Mine is also lumpy at start up and smokey until reved then it clears ok still nothing pointing to why mpg is low<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

Rough startup is generally an air leak on the fuel lines or a glow plug problem. If it runs lumpily like one cylinder isn't firing and with a little reving smoothens out, its most likely a glow plug problem.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

My Xantia TD 96 drinks quite a bit of engine oil. After a high speed run of 800km, lost 2 liters of engine oil and not even aware of it. Finally checked it at a petrol station and topped up. After that, noticed that fuel consumption is up about 10-15%. Must have worn out some internal engine parts.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

John in Malaysia - with that kind of oil consumption you're either leaving a smoke trail the size of the Iraq army or its leaking out of the engine quite badly!
//NiSk
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Nisk, I have already checked engine for leaks, there is a small leak along the bottom sump but not enough to lose so much, it only dripped a few drops on the garage floor. Much of it must have been through blowby. Unfortunately I've taken out the crankcase breather and vent the white blowby vapour out near the main exhaust. So there wasn't much black smoke to detect and worse still, was driving all night long until morning, alternating between 3 drivers. It was a first time driving for such a long distance and at a high speed of 130-160kph, occasionally touching max of 180kph. Lesson learned, check engine oil at intervals if travel far at high speed. Point is, a worn out engine will consume more fuel.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Nisk, it sounds to me like your head gasket has gone. The oil may well be leaking though a crack in the gasket and straight into the exhaust, therefore you wont be burning any oil just losing it through the exhaust pipe.
Paul
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Urk! Head gasket gone?! I had a top overhaul only 1 and a half years ago. Maybe the head gasket wasn't done properly as it leaked the first time the mechanic put back the engine. Then he had to strip it again and apply some liquid gasket on the metal gasket to prevent any further leaks. Seems to work on the outside but don't know what's happening on the inside. Wrinklet, how can I check whether the oil is leaking through the gasket and into the exhaust?
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Apart from taking the head off, I dont know of any other way of checking if the oil is going into the exhaust. Just power wash the engine and run it, see if any oil is coming out of the seals/gaskets. Maybe if your lucky, it could just be the sump gasket thats gone and the oil is being blown away as you drive, but apart from a fingers crossed I think its head off time again.
Sounded to me that the mechanic did a poor job of fitting it first time around.
Regards
Paul