advice please re best buy in tyres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Thanks to all for the advice....
Looked at the (above) link, and it would seem Pirelli P6, P7 or P3000E might be the best choice despite them being cited as noisy since my other half has reactions quite a bit slower than mine so she tends to break more sharply, and there are some stretches of road we frequently use in bad light and heavy rain which forms long puddles.
primo

Post by primo »

I'm amazed that you can be so specific. Long puddles?!!? In any case, Citroens were designed for Michelin. End of story. As for high, branded prices, I've been quoted Michelin prices below Goodyear / Dunlop and in one case Kuhmo, from independents nearby.
Try 'Costco' for Michelin: though they apparently have a policy of fitting (2) new tyres to the rear only, which I don't understand.
And have more faith in your 'other half'.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

best tyres i ever had on a zx were Goodyear nct5, i believe costco have good prices on michelins and £10.00 a tyre cash back at the moment a friend got some Michelin 195/65 15's for £47.00 each after cash back, i always believe in fitting the new tyres to rear then you can wear off the rears by using them on the front other wise the tread on the rear tyres never seems to wear out and the rubber seems to go hard and starts to crack.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

"I'm amazed that you can be so specific. Long puddles?!!?"
Indeed so; reckon anyone who regularly uses the Dolphinton to Fairmilehead stretch of road in Lothian would know what it means.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

"i always believe in fitting the new tyres to rear"
The point sometimes made in this forum re whether the best tyres should be on the front or the rear axles is one I still can't sort out in my head; there is as you mention plenty of tread still on the rear and they look like uv has not affected them; guess because the power goes to the front wheels there is an instinctive assumption that maximised traction there would be a good thing, but the argument about the tail end trying to overtake the front is a rather persuasive one too.....
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Citroens are as posted designed for Michelins who recommend fitting new tyres to the back to maintain understeer which they consider to be safer than oversteer.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Stunner tyres are the same as some well-known brand. We all had a good laugh when my BX turned up with Stunners on it but they had the same tread pattern as a Pirelli I think.
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Citroens were designed for Michelins..
That's a story that is true when they were designed BUT
The tyres you buy now from Michelin will have changed completely - rubber, tread and build .. from those built when the Xantia was designed in the late 1980s.
So my view is buy what is best for your circumstances. Michelin Energy last well but not best grip in wet while I am running Firestone Economy on a 1.6 Fiesta and cannot recommend them as the wet weather grip - aided by poor traction and hard driving - is poor.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Have 4 different makes (one on each corner) on the ZX and handling is well ropey in the wet, not sure if thats teh Ceat on the passenger side or the Mud and Snow Regal on the drivers side... (cant see it being the rear firestone and dunlop sport).... The Xant has still the (thin on tread) Energys by Mr Bibendum, and handling is fair to middling in the damp, but you wouldnt want to push it. I used Phirelli P6000's on the Lagune (partly cos a mate got them cheap off the back of a lorry) and i found them a good mix of grip and quiet. cant say i noticed loads of difference on fuel, nor was the wear anything out of the ordinary... got 34k from the front before swapping with the rears... then wrote car off to avoid buyig any more!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

[quote]<i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

teh Lagune buyig [quote]
One day i <font color="red"><i>WILL</i></font id="red"> learn how to type....
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

I can vouch for michelin energys.The ones on the front of my 306 have worn much better than anything else i have tried. Grip OK too.
I now have two yokohamas on it and they seem to wear slightly quicker but are also an excellent tyre.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The Michelin Energys on the rear of my car were original when I bought it at 5 1/2 years old. I swapped them to the front, and they're still there, I'm trying to wear them down so I can replace them with something less perished looking.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

I've been wearing Michelin Energy XH1 on my Xantia.
- They seem to last forever.
- Resistance to acquaplaning is good.
- Grip is quite inferior to Michelin Pilot Sport, which I had on my previous springs car (non-HP).
Haven't tested the M P Sport on Xantia. I'm now going to replace the Energy with Michelin Pilot Primacy, hoping they have a better grip keeping the economical performance.