advice please re best buy in tyres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Forth
My Cars:

advice please re best buy in tyres

Post by Forth »

Going next week to get two new front tyres on our ZX TD (an "R" reged SX).
Looked over the various postings re tyres and found at local fitters the choice (non-cheapie but given the cruddy state of the roads nowadays and that the car does around 400 miles a week, more than half of it motorway, not the most expensive ones either) seems to be between
Michelin
Vredstein
Goodyear(which the tyre place we'll probably go to recommended as best for our purposes)
Goodrich
Pirelli is a bit dearer, Continental more so.
Which of these tyres are currently best, and any to avoid?
Btw, found the least competitive for tyre prices in the area (northwest Cumbria) was Kwikfit.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I have had Vredstein (sportrac?) tyres before and they are great, especially in the rain or snow. They seem to wear a little quicker though (could have been because I pushed a litte harder on them I guess).
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Goodyear Eagle GA have been a sound allrounder tyre for many years. I am currently running on Kuhmo, and find them satisfactory for performance and wear. Michelin have been pursuing a strategy of maximizing profit with so much vigour that I find it distasteful to support them. I used to run on Kleber until they were bought out by Michelin (who immediately put Kleber prices up 20%), and for 200,000 miles on Kleber (on Peugeot 404 and Citroen DS) was entirely confident and satisfied ...at a time when I was driving particularly fast and aggressively.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

We've got 3 Continentals (ecosomething) on the ZX 1.9D which seem fine (15,000 miles on the front) I bought them as they seemed to be at a good price (£38 each fitted . . .). It seemed much the same on the worn out cheapies it came with and without doing exhaustive and expensive tests i have no way of saying if they are beter than others or not. This car has the same size as my BX (175/65 x 14) and I'll own up to having 2 Halfords tyres on the front of that which again have proved satisfactory if perhaps a bit prone to thump. having said that they feel the same as the cheapies fitted to that when I got it and the expensive Avon ones I fitted before.
I have a dislike of cars that thump and believe this can be a product of inelastic breaker belts in tyres. I have memories of a 3.5 litre Rover (the big one P5) that my father had and which he fitted Pirelli Cinturato's. the result of this rayon belted tyre and Rover's suspension design (or lack of it) was that going down a concrete motorway like the M27 in its original state was enough to loosen teeth.
jeremy
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Noise and rough ride on some stretches of motorway (going between Carlisle and either Glasgow or Edinburgh) is something we're fed up with, but it applies to both the ZX and to a lesser degree the Xantia estate (despite all-new spheres and tyres) as well.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

The Vredestein T-trac series are very good, had one of the few sets that were RED ! Not and any problems with Kumho and also found Avon and Yokohama. Not used www.blackcircles.com but get a work discount, prices look ok could be worth a look.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Really red?
Never seen or even heard of such a thing....
take it that was the sidewalls?
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

I used "Stunner" tyres on the recommendation of my local indie tyre place on my departed Pug405. They were fine. For over 100K.
I've just done 26K with them on the front of my XM.
Again, no problems.
I hate paying for brands....
rg
johntaylor
My Cars:

Post by johntaylor »

If cost is not the main decision you could look to the Citroen recommendation which I understand is Michelin, to give the best response to complement the quality suspension? The mileage return will be good if you intend keeping the car for say 30k+
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

yup, red sidewalls. The were the only tyre in the UK that was not completely black, although Michelin Europe had marketed colours as a test in Belgium or some place I think.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

My buddy in the tyre trade recommended Stunners too
Stewart
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Vredestein T-Tracs, tried them on the front of my ZX.
They were OK but only lasted 22K, mainly motorway, miles. They also got a bit noisier when they were part worn. Fairly OK in the wet as I remember. I've replaced them with Avon CR322 which seem to be lasting better, and are performing much the same.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

I swear by Michelin energys on my ZX but I'm informed that TOYO are pretty good
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

BF Goodrich are supposedly built on the Michelin production line and subject to the same quality control system as the Michelin branded ones.
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

Also try this site for comparisons. http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/tyretest/tests.asp