Xantia wiper size

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PeterC.

Xantia wiper size

Post by PeterC. »

Just fitted some nice new Bosch wipers to my P reg. Xantia 2.0iSX estate. According to Bosch/Halfords the driver’s side should be 20inch and the passenger 18inch (I think - if I remember correctly). Bought the Bosch kit, but the blades are smaller than the ones I’ve just taken off (unknown origin - other than ‘made in France’ stamped on them). In fact the driver’s side is a good 3 inches shorter, the passenger about 1 inch. Anyone know what the correct sizes are? Have Bosch got it wrong or am I really stupid and can’t read the size chart. Haynes book and owner’s manual don’t give correct size.
Also, while I’m here, can the plastic coated alloy trim on the rear bumper be replaced? If so, how does one get it off? My car ‘previously cherished’ by, I suspect, old lady with lack of spacial awareness (every corner been mildy ‘dinged’ upon parking - perhaps she was French, I believe they always park that way) and overstressed charm bracelet (scratches near switch gear and door handles).
Great forum by the way - very reassuring to know that ‘they all do that sir’ is actually true. Buzzing dash (both climate sensing fan and speedo dial!) , leaking suspension, siezed brakes etc. The plastic clutch cable clip is scary - can’t wait to have a go at that.
Chris Peddie

Post by Chris Peddie »

Aa ha! At last an easier question I can answer ;-)
The wipers should be 24 inch for drivers side and 20 inch for the passenger side (and 19 inch for the rear (although this is on a hatch) I think). Can't help much with removing bumper parts, but I would also like to know how to get out the chrome trim to tidy up the corroded bits - another common problem I believe!
HTH,
Chris
Edited by - Chris Peddie on 12 Jul 2002 12:16:58
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Or en Francais 630mm drivers side, 510mm passenger (also fits rear on hatchback)
Phil
PeterC.

Post by PeterC. »

Thanks for prompt replies. Back to Halfords then. Either I’m about to look really dim ’cos I failed to comprehend the Bosch fitment chart, or Halford’s will have to give me a new set of wipers. Could have sworn it said ‘Xantia all models 1983 onwards’ though. Cross checked it with the single side fitment reference as well. Perhaps it was all a dream and I’ve gone mad.
I wonder why wipers are so complicated to fit? Halford’s wiper department always has one or two confused people lurking, clutching broken bits of unfathomable black plastic and repeatedly thumbing the fitment chart.
douglas_xantia
My Cars:

Post by douglas_xantia »

Next time you need anything, when you see the Halfords sign, keep driving. You will arrive at a place where the staff can actually tell you something you don't already know (usually called a motor factor).
Xantias are not ALL bad
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

peter
did you buy the 24" spoiler version for the drivers side, to prevent wind lift off when driving at speed in the rain??
dom
PeterC.

Post by PeterC. »

Yes I did. It doesn’t fit though! I had to use the clip from the previous wiper that doesn‘t really fit the Bosch one. Hmmm. The Bosch passenger-side wiper clip fits, but the passenger wiper misses the far left of the screen on the up-stroke, but catches it on the down stroke. Could this be a case of it’s best to use genuine Citroen wipers only? The irony is, the wiper motor/mechanism is made by Bosch!
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

I bought the Halfords own brand set of wipers, which are the correct 24"/20" sizes with a spoiler on the driver's side wiper. Cost less than the Bosch wipers and they follow the screen perfectly.
hardmanm

Post by hardmanm »

I bought exactly the same Bosch wipers (24" spoiler for drivers side, 19" spolier for passengers side) from my local motor factor for half the price halfords was asking.
I assume andyspares sell them? Probably a lot cheaper than halfords even with postage
Mark
jemboyd
My Cars:

Post by jemboyd »

You can also get just the blades for the wipers and cut them to fit if they're too long. Just replaced my rear wiper blade and cut it to fit - pack has two, so will use one on the front...
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

Sorry hardmanm just had a look at andyspares, and their wipers were £4.00 more expensive including postage.......
Edited by - reffro on 20 Aug 2002 10:56:51