3rd car - Xantia, XM, BX, CX, DS, SM, or 280SE?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Primo,
Have you ever driven an XM for any length of time, By the way?
rg
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Sorry BXbodger I'm not from Australia the car was. All shiny and...... white. The chicks couldn't keep their hands off me. All my mates were in mini's.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

You want a understated beast!!!!!!
Go Xantia v6 absolutely storming motor especialy with quick exhaust and Air filter, Sounds very very ferrari and I didn't stop grinning for 2 days when I thought of that GRRRRRROWL.
Just waiting for the wife to go back to work after child and i'll be on the lookout.
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Having owned a DS, GS, BX, and Xantia, the one I loved most was the DS. Just as fast as my Xantia 2.0i, but not as quiet, and burned more fuel. I loved the big soft seats and the spacious cabin. Hugely strong and capable on rough roads. The Xantia is easier to master driving, and is 20 years younger ... I've lost some of my enthusiasm for mechanicking.
primo

Post by primo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rg</i>

Primo,
Have you ever driven an XM for any length of time, By the way?
rg
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes.
primo

Post by primo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PeterMann</i>

Having owned a DS, GS, BX, and Xantia, the one I loved most was the DS. Just as fast as my Xantia 2.0i, but not as quiet, and burned more fuel. I loved the big soft seats and the spacious cabin. Hugely strong and capable on rough roads. The Xantia is easier to master driving, and is 20 years younger ... I've lost some of my enthusiasm for mechanicking.
To me, this is what is wrong with car clubs. They are full of people who are in love with the last idea they had: in this case, Citroens. To use a hideous phrase, 'at the end of the day', it's just a car. True, DSs have iconic styling cues (more jargon) but they're old! 50 years old! True again! There is nothing wrong with old, au contraire, but things move on. These cars are good within the parameters of the time they were designed, nay great! But get real! The only, slightly interesting, modern Citroens are just run-of-the-mill repmobiles with the miniscule advantage of a (highly compromised) suspension system. Add to that, absurdly expensive parts, and you get an overpriced, (subjectively, ugly) and overhyped drone basking in the reflected glory of a truly great forerunner, and in the manner of monotheistic cabals everywhere, you get teary-eyed numbnuts supporting this truly undemocratic assault on the public's right to a good deal. i.e. Citroen.
I rest my case. : )
P.S. Mann above. If you could drive your DS faster than your Xantia 2.0i then there's a possibility that either you are not a very good driver or your Xantia was missing a wheel. (Steering, possibly).
P.P.S. Thunderbird, perhaps people could help you more by having some idea of your budget. How much can you afford to spend to further clog up the roads with a third vehicle? It's all very well dreaming, but bandwidth costs money too. Also, do you absolutely reject pedals?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

You should try the Allegro Club International, there's a monotheistic cabal for you!!!
Makes Cit owners seem normal.................pass me the 1750SS....
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">P.S. Mann above. If you could drive your DS faster than your Xantia 2.0i then there's a possibility that either you are not a very good driver or your Xantia was missing a wheel. (Steering, possibly).
So you have obviously never driven a DS, of course sheer cornering speed the Xantia will win. Point to point time in a DS are extremely high, I imagine the DS21ie 5spd wouldn't be much slower (in acceleraton times) than an 8valve VSX Xantia. You do need to know how to *drive* a DS though. A DS is a supremely forgiving car, just ask my father who was following when I got his DS23 ie 5spd pallas hugely sideways on a greasy road. A touch of the accelerator and a dab of opposite lock and we were straight in a heartbeat [:0]
The Xantias is very much a car for modern smooth roads, it most certainly would NOT keep up with a DS on poor roads, especially if the Xantia destroyed itself and ended up with a strut through the bonnet.
The DS was designed for the roads of the 50/60's, ie: it's very soft and isn't ideally suited for the smooth overcrowded roads with the painfully slow speed limits of today.
Next you'll be telling me a 405 Mi16 can always beat a crappy old CX like some fools out here ... Like I said to them, you choose the time, I'll choose the road [}:)] [}:)] (it'd be easy to find a road to destroy a poogoe on[8D]).
seeya,
Shane L.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">P.P.S. Thunderbird, perhaps people could help you more by having some idea of your budget. How much can you afford to spend to further clog up the roads with a third vehicle? It's all very well dreaming, but bandwidth costs money too. Also, do you absolutely reject pedals?
I've just spent 10minutes trying to work out how many cars I have. I think it's about 15, but i'll have to check. What's wrong with owning just 3cars ?? He can only drive 1 car at any 1 time. It's fools and morons that buy a new car every two years that do the most damage to the environment. It creates a HUGE amount more pollution to make a new car than it does to run cars that were made 20years ago [:p] Image
I'm off outside to play with my '63 ID19 so it can busily clog up the roads, after all do drive them all at the same time Image
seeya,
Shane L
primo

Post by primo »

doublechevron: 'Next you'll be telling me....'
No I won't, young as you evidently are, I doubt whether anyone could tell you anything.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Fight Fight Fight Fight[:D][:D][:D][:D]
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">doublechevron: 'Next you'll be telling me....'
No I won't, young as you evidently are, I doubt whether anyone could tell you anything.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Who said I'm young ???. What would I know I only own and drive the cars you speak of, so obviously I can't compare the difference between DS's and Xantias Image Image. How is driving 20+year old cars that already exist bad for the environment ???? I really am ready and willing to listen and learn. Something that already exists will cost a lot less in environmental harm than the creating of something new.
seeya
Shane L.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Shane is not <b>that</b> young - I've seen his picture! [;)] Yep - making a car causes about the same environmental damage as using one for about 15 years.
We are brainwashed by the 'new is good, old is bad' mantra dreamed up by the marketroids.
Even Mr Blur and his cronies who are urging us to recycle everything, seem to ignore the problems caused by making too many new cars, and, in one fell swoop, doubled the number of abandoned vehicles by introducing nanny legislation for breakers' yards, so it costs money to scrap a car.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Mike, Shane; I'm with you on this. Scrapping any viable car is a criminal waste of resources. In the UK, cars are fashion accessories and BXs are free to loving homes like orphaned kittens.
In France, where they are worked like pit ponies, they cost £2000 for a decent estate. (If you could collect half a dozen for export, you could buy a house with them! How's that for ripoff Britain- in our currency, that'd make a BX worth about £25000!)
I buy cars because I like them but they have to have utility.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Probably everyone has a point. If I own three cars, this means I've bought the third car from a person that will be needing a new car, and thus will put the market in motion, making the need (at the end of the line) for a new car to be manufactured. If no one accumulates cars (and stays with the same only car for many years), much less cars would be made. Yet, no doubt that 'Scrapping any viable car is a criminal waste of resources', like Tom stated.
So, I will follow the two best options for environment protection:
1. I will keep my Xantia for many years, so that I won't buy a new car. (However, I know Primo will be saying I am a fool for sticking with such an old car).
2. I will not buy a third car just for fun, as the owner of that car would be buying a new car. (Now, Tom, Mike and Shane will be sayin, you fool!!!).
There is however an exception! if I find an abandoned car or about to be scrapped, I will save it! (a car that I enjoy, of course).
<b>
So, the new question is: CX, DS, SM, or Mercedes 280SE, to be saved from extinction?!</b>
- I've come back to SM because I have a new question: Can the SM engine be modified to be reliable or replaced by other engine?
- Which year DS will be better? How about the later DS23?
- Is CX GTi mk1 a good option?