Vegie oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Post by Jon »

<i>"DTR 1887 motor, lucas pump"</i>
Hell no wonder it needed new seals if the pump was 117 years old, it did well.
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

ZXs are fitted with Bosch or lucas injection pumps.
I believe the problem with the Lucas pumps is the "lift pump" vanes. They fail due to the higher viscosity of the veg oil, especially in winter.
Someone mentioned biodiesel - just let the professionals do the risky chemistry and do yourself a favour ;)
Simon
johntaylor
My Cars:

Post by johntaylor »

I think veggie oil should be a compulsory additive to diesel fuel as it would recycle all the oil from chip shops, but I am concerned about getting the Chinese waste oil as my Citroen dont speak that language.
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

Some older injector pumps may be fitted with Buna N( Nitrile/NBR) material O rings and seals, which has a limited life when immersed in pure vegetable oils. But should withstand a considerable term when mixed with std diesel fuel at around 10-20%
Later pumps are now possibly fitted with Viton rubber components, which has a higher resistance to most oils.
Oils that have good compatibility with both types of rubber --
Any mineral oils new and (used --pre-filtered) 10-30 grades, at 10-20% 40-60 grades 2-10%. Waste engine oil smokes cosiderably.
Oils and fats you may like to try-- compatible with both types of seals.
How they perform and ratios - no idea.
You will most probably smell like a restaurant
Clove
Coconut
Cottonseed
Ginger
Hydraulic
linseed
Palm
Peanut
Rapeseed
Soybean
Lard
Tallow
Looks like a cooking recipe list, The only thing I've missed out is gas mark 5 for twenty minuets,
Corn and olive oils --Some limited life -- pure.
Lacquers, thinners and creosote to be avoided, unless you want to redo the garden fence with the exhaust.
R
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Back in the early summer, I used up some old supermarket oil in the Avantage that had been living in my shed for yonks, I can't even remember what I bought it for, [:I] I added some from my chip pan as well just to get rid of it. Total was about 2 gallons and my tank was about half full at the time.
The car drove as usual, no difference at all as far as I could tell. Both ZX's have bosch pumps fitted. [:)]
I now carry a couple of litres in my boot in case I ever run out of fuel.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I used up some old supermarket oil in the Avantage that had been living in my shed for yonks, I can't even remember what I bought it for<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Must be a heck of a shed, James, if a ZX will go into it. I bought mine for transport [}:)]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by johntaylor</i>

I think veggie oil should be a compulsory additive to diesel fuel as it would recycle all the oil from chip shops, <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
My car now <i>smells</i> like a chippy.... Mind you its running ok, think i have lost a little on MPG, is that down to the calorific value of fat vs. diesel?
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

Thanks to GAV425 for the link above. I am now running on Bio fuel which is filtered recycled veggi oil plus a bit of solvent.
We should all know that when the government finally starts pushing bio-diesel that it is only 5% veggi oil to 95% mineral diesel. Bio-fuel is 100% veggie (apart from a minute drop of solvent)
Strongly suggest you look at the link http://www.bio-power.co.uk/ and see where you can buy the stuff.
Brilec
My Cars:

Post by Brilec »

Did you know that if you use second hand chippy oil, then in addition to paying the appropriate amount of fuel tax (minus 20 pence discount rate), you also have to get a licence from the Dept. of the Environment for disposal of waste products.
Left hand - nothing - right hand.
mucky

Post by mucky »

Thanks for all that. I just tried a 40% 60% mix of Asda's Finest. The engine is quieter and runs better. I also got more MPG.
I think vegie should be in all diesel.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I have been told that if you use second hand (used) chip shop oil thats been filtered, you are exempt from paying any other taxes as it has already been paid.
Paul
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mucky</i>

Thanks for all that. I just tried a 40% 60% mix of Asda's Finest. The engine is quieter and runs better.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Lidl = 46p /L
Aldi = 47p /L
murphman
My Cars:

Post by murphman »

Anyone running even a weak mix of veggie and normal diesel should check that they do not have a Lucas fuel pump!. This is really important especially as the cold sets in. These pumps cannot cope with the thickness of veggie. There are plenty of horror stories if you do a search in Google for Lucas pumps and SVO(veggie). It has been mentioned in this thread but thought it needs repeating as anyone selling SVO as a fuel doesn't tell you this.
Brilec
My Cars:

Post by Brilec »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wrinklet1</i>

I have been told that if you use second hand (used) chip shop oil thats been filtered, you are exempt from paying any other taxes as it has already been paid.
Paul
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Nope, you are still liable for the road fuel tax element.
As far as the Lucas pump position goes, it depends on the type of bio-diesel used. If it is the type commercially produced using methanol, then yes, it can rot the rubber seals, but pure veggie oil will not.
zorgman
My Cars:

Post by zorgman »

thought ill give it ago so popped into makro bought 20l for £10.29 stuck 10l of derv in and 10l of oil car runs fine BUT this is a strange thing now its all mixed up car is no different but the tickover has suddenly shot uo to 1000rpm on tickover any one had that problem.
also it stinks could be sick off the smell ever had a chip pan fire or smelt one then thats the smell so im going to try and mask it by getting some smelly oil from the pound shop