Xantia suspension problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vinny180
My Cars:

Xantia suspension problem

Post by vinny180 »

My Xantia is a 95 1.9.td . It is the first Citroen I have owned so I am not familiar with suspension. Mine feels very hard and the ride heights dont adjust correctly.
Any ideas[?][?]
Also is there any literature available to help understand how they work or common probs[?]
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

youve come to the right place ,I was in the same position as you and I am astounded at the level of help I've recieved
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

If you do a search here you will find all kinds of useful stuff on suspension, how it works including links to sites where the magic is all explained, how it doesn't work, and what's what with height correctors.
PJ
johntaylor
My Cars:

Post by johntaylor »

If you type in 'Citroen DIY' in on google you will see a superb web page by 'Tramontana' this will give you a working relationship with the suspension. Be very careful! a wrong move through lack of knowledge the suspension will crush you.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Yes, buy a pair of axle stands and use them. Citroens can drop very suddenly and you'll only experience it once because you won't live to tell the tale. Hard suspension is often due to worn spheres. With the suspension pumped up, sit on each corner and see if they all behave like a normal car. those that you cannot push down will be the duff one. The incorrect height adjustment is often due to a failed plastic connecting link to the rear suspension. once fixed, all is usually well. Spheres are about £20 each.
vinny180
My Cars:

Post by vinny180 »

Thanks for your help . I am about to purchase 2 new front spheres. I am unsure though about the plastic connecting link. Local Citroen dealer have told me both ride height adjusters are sticking and need replacing But the car will find the right selected height with a bit of jiggering with the selector. does this still sound like the p.c.link if so where can i get 1<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

Yes, buy a pair of axle stands and use them. Citroens can drop very suddenly and you'll only experience it once because you won't live to tell the tale. Hard suspension is often due to worn spheres. With the suspension pumped up, sit on each corner and see if they all behave like a normal car. those that you cannot push down will be the duff one. The incorrect height adjustment is often due to a failed plastic connecting link to the rear suspension. once fixed, all is usually well. Spheres are about £20 each.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Vinny
HCs <b>vary rarely</b> need replacing apart from mechanical damage, just stripping and cleaning. Come back to us if/when you need info on this.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vinny180</i>

Thanks for your help . I am about to purchase 2 new front spheres. I am unsure though about the plastic connecting link. Local Citroen dealer have told me both ride height adjusters are sticking and need replacing But the car will find the right selected height with a bit of jiggering with the selector. does this still sound like the p.c.link if so where can i get 1<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Before dismantling the height correctors and their linkage just try lubrication it. I use a spray grease and try and get it on all moving parts especially where the operating arm dissappears into the corrector. i have recently stopped my BX front one from occasional sticking by this method.
Spray grease can be found in the Motor cycle section of Halfords.
jeremy