Xsara clutch / gearbox noise ?????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sterling01
My Cars:

Xsara clutch / gearbox noise ?????

Post by sterling01 »

I have a 1998 Xsara 1.4i X. It has 48,000 miles on it and drives perfectly going up and down the gears no problem at all. The problem I do have is that when the car is idling and I push in the clutch pedal there is a rattling noise from the engine somewhere. The minute I select 1st gear and get the biting point, the rattling disappears. This is the only time I get the rattling noise. Once I am moving, there is no noise when changing to any other gear. Does anyone have any ideas?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Clutch release / pressure bearing. My old Zx had this noise and it lasted for 152K no problems. If you want it changing then best to have the whole clutch changed as well in one go. Could be result of resting your foot on clutch pedal, slipping the clutch when pulling away or pulling away in the wrong gear.
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

Get somebody to look under the bonnet while you make the rattle happen (or vice versa). Isolating the noise will make diagnosis a lot easier. Chances are that something is touching something it shouldn't be.
sterling01
My Cars:

Post by sterling01 »

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I took a trip to the local dealer this morning and grabbed the workshop manager. He also said it was the release/pressure bearing and said it needed a new clutch. He said that the noise would only get worse and the clutch pedal would become heavy through time. He then quoted me £360 for a new clutch. I just about fell backwards. I had a clutch replaced in my wifes Fiesta 4 months ago and it only cost me £125. Is there anywhere that does clutches cheap? Like a kwik-fit type place but decicated to clutches? Thanks again.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Have a look in in Local Yellow pages or try www.yell.co.uk (on line one) there is bound to be a Mr. Clutch near you. They quoted me only £425 to rebuild a ZX TD gear box and refit with new clutch and cable. Every where will quote for a new clutch but make sure it's for the clutch pressure plate ,the friction plate and all the bearings.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

I would just keep driving it. It doesnt sound to bad at the moment.