Hot disks and handbrakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gaz
My Cars:

Hot disks and handbrakes

Post by Gaz »

This is a follow on to my post a few days ago regarding "Binding Brakes". I've since cleaned all of the brakes and sliders etc so they are as good as I can get them. Simply..the brakes do not bind (very free after brakes / handbrake etc but they do get hot. I've since felt the disks on a couple of cars ( all very young and in good condition / various brands) that I know to have no problems after 1.5 and 3 mile rides, they are as hot or hotter than mine. Being an engineer I understand about the friction and the heat generation / dissipation of the pads and disks but the whole idea of being out for a drive, heating up the disks and then parking on a hill with the handbrake on hard and fully seems to be asking for the disks to warp. Does anybody have any comments on this subject?
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

Absolutley correct, parking up with the handbrake on with hot brakes is asking for warped discs. Fortunately I have an automatic so I can always leave it in Park, but otherwise I would just take it easy in the last 2-3 miles before home to let the discs cool a bit. Anyone who goes on track days is always advised to park the car in gear, handbrake off to avoid warped discs in between track sessions.