Cats & Horses

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Im sure ive read somewhere my HDi Xant is supposed to have a Cat...
Why? surely you cant convert soot?
So does my diesel loose a couple of ponies too?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The catalyst is there to oxidise CO down to CO2.
Once liberally coated with soot all that it does is to consume fuel and power.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

When I replaced the cat on my motorbike with a straight through pipe it came with a chip for the ECU, though I suspect this is because the engine management system is far less sophisticated that that on my Xantia and as such would be unable to 'sense' any changes in gas flow.
The pipe came with a threaded hole in which to fit the lambda sensor so the ECU could still get oxygen content readings from the exhaust. I assume that any cat replacement pipe for the car would require such a fitment for the lambda sensor. There is currently no requirement for motorbikes to have their emissions checked at the MOT so no problem there.
The cat replacement pipe made a significant difference to the performance of the bike so I would think that the difference in performance would be even more noticable on a car which flows much more gas.
Talking of sooty diesel cats, there are some 2-stroke bikes with cats. Can't imagine they are much good after a liberal dose of two stroke oil!
Brilec
My Cars:

Post by Brilec »

Odd, but I was always under the impression that the one thing that a diesel did not produce was CO. You would suffocate in the exhaust, but not be poisened by it.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Im sure ive read somewhere my HDi Xant is supposed to have a Cat...
Why? surely you cant convert soot?
So does my diesel loose a couple of ponies too?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Aren't they just some sort of particulate filter on a diesel? So you could 'loose a few more ponies' by making a big hole down the middle of it, providing you do not have a 'smoker'? [}:)][}:)]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

If your'e interested in diesel cats read the following - it says everything:
http://www.nett.ca/faq_diesel.html
//NiSk
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Oh my god....
They have a Fuego in stock!
I loved these as a spotty teenager, as i learned to drive these were just beginning to appear in the scrap yards (had some fog lamps off on eonce and bolted them to my Marina)
Im tempted..... Im very tempted (especially as from the 4th of October i have a Lock Up to fill up thanks to the council!)
Somebody send for the men in white coats....
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

very odd, my post has come up on the wrong thread... should be on Thunderbirds what to buy as a 3rd car....
http://www.frenchclassics.co.uk/carsaleframe.htm
this!
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Somebody send for the men in white coats....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thought you <b>were</b> one, Marty!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by uhn113x</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Somebody send for the men in white coats....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thought you <b>were</b> one, Marty!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
True.... doesnt mean i cant loose it myself and have to order some rubber wallpaper! LOL![:D][:D][:D]
But a Fuego..... droool...[:p]
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
But a Fuego..... droool...[:p]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Careful, Marty - it'll go rusty [;)]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

An I always thought it was FIAT who invented that method of motor car production . . . (casting the body in paint and then spraying rust on the inside) . .
//NiSk