cylinder head

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

krsan
My Cars:

cylinder head

Post by krsan »

hi all, i own a xsara vts 1998 model. i need a replacement cylinder head due to my current one is tapping badly and im not looking to spend ££££ trying to find out what cause the problem. before anyone say anything, i already had all hydraulic tappets changed and still didnt fix the problem. i have read lots of story about peugeot gti6/XsaraVTS cylinder head tapping and no one seem to come up with the solution. one solution that keep pops up is to replace the current head with a non tapping one. So, does any one know who i can contact regarding this problem?
cheers.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Are the cams themselves undamaged? camprofiles are carefully calculated to reduce acceleration of the cam / valve contact and to allow quiet running. Only a small amount of wear will change this and cause tapping. It may be possible to pinpoint the problem using a rod held to your ear.
jeremy
krsan
My Cars:

Post by krsan »

dont know if the cams are damaged or not as i didnt want to spend more money if it doesnt fix the problem. anyway i managed to find a cylinder head with 40k for £230. not bad al all. all i need now is a machanic. :P
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">all i need now is a machanic<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Is that a Scottish mechanic? [}:)]
So, you have got a cyl head for £230, and are about to pay someone even more beer tokens to fit it, but no-one has yet diagnosed exactly where the noise is coming from? Was there a reason for changing the tappets, apart from the noise? How is the oil supply to the head? It would be a shame to make a big hole in a grand and not fix the fault.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Hang on a minute- the tapping is common, right?
Do the engines subsequently go BANG?
if so, why?
If not, don't worry about it
If you had ever owned a Simca/Talbot/Chrysler Alpine, you wouldn't hear it at all!
(And the same guys designed your engine!)