Xantia suspension: It's a curious thing but ....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndyP
My Cars:

Xantia suspension: It's a curious thing but ....

Post by AndyP »

.... I have finally confirmed this for certain. If I drive over those nasty plastic speedhump thingies using only the n/s wheels it's as smooth as a smooth thing. If I go over them with the offside wheels it's just like a normal car (uncomfortable, noisy & rough). Sooooooo, what might be the problem ? So far I have replaced the acc sphere and all three rear spheres. Both the front ones look new-ish and are dates sometime in 2002, so along with the fact that the front suspension seems to behave OK, I thought they're probably still functioning. Incidentally, the n/s still bumps kind of normally when going over potholes and drain covers etc ???? And yes, I have checked the tyre pressures .... Any thoughts ?
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

2 factors to consider. The degree of elegance with which one dances across these vandalisms is very dependent on speed. Make sure that comparisons are done at same speed, and experiment to find the sweet speed for each type of speedbump.
Also, most cars will ride better when only one wheel crosses a speedbump. This is because only one wheel trying to lift the front or rear of the car, so the suspension is forced to absorb more travel
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I would think that it is down to you sitting on the offside of the car, when the offside hits a bump it lifts you directly, but when you hit a bump on the nearside it has a levering sort of action that will dampen the bump for you, try and draw a mental picture of the way the forces are acting for a speedbump on either side and i think you will see what i mean
What you need to do, is to get someone else to drive the car over the bumps for you whilst sitting on the passenger side, i think the problem will swap around then !
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Well, on my (ex) BX, one front strut had been replaced, and the ride on that side of the car was quite smoother
AndyP
My Cars:

Post by AndyP »

Hmmm, excellent suggestions, hadn't thought of that - I'll try some more experiments.
Cheers
Andy
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,
I'd be checking really simple things, like an almost flat sphere on one front corner .......
No need to get technical yet[:)]
seeya,
Shane L.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Simple way would be exchanging front spheres (left<->right)
Xantia struts should last longer than on BX (different and better construction)
crapday
My Cars:

Post by crapday »

i know this is an old thread but i found that if you go over them at 30 then is as smooth as a babies bum, nacker you suspension thou.
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

Weigh the front spheres if the side you think is bad is alot heavier then it may be shot.