BX steering rack leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vanny
My Cars:

BX steering rack leak

Post by vanny »

Looking all the way back to jan 2003 i cant see a tpoic that has the same problem, but im sure it must have come up before!
Right, i have a leak on the steering wheel side of the steering rack, or at least i think thats where its from. I understand that there are seals somewhere around this area, but its not something i've had problems with before.
Now, im assuming that these seals are low pressure seals that the return fluid leaks past (kind of like a strut), is this the case? Am i likely to notice drips rather than spray?
I've found that the back of the engine is spreyed in a very very fine mist of LHM, in fact its more like water spray from the road (until you taste a bit of it, and it sticks to your tongue!). Reason i ask is if its not likely to be the rack then i have a suspicion as to what it is, and its not gonna be an easy fix!
So important bit here, Its a BX with a Xantia pump which runs a higher pressure although not enough to be an issue, bu the union between the pipe from the pump and the steering rack is a little bit of a bodge! And the problem comes in that the union was a bit of a git to fit in the first place, and i dont fancy having to take the engine out to fix!
So whats a normal leak like?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I reckon that this is the servo valve from your description. GSF do a rebuild kit but I think that it will be rack out for you my lad!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Vanny - if I understand you correctly - then you have modified your BX servo from usual FDV setup - to the later Xantia 2-port pump setup withOUT the FDV.
Should not be any differences on the working pressure between these 2 systems.
Other than the wellknown dreaded FDV problems, there are 2 common problems in the steering rack area :
1) The pinion valve seals wears out - then pressurised LHM reaches the inside of the steering rack - LHM will then leak out the gaiters flushing out the rack lubrication [:(].
2) The ram cylinder mounting bushes wears out, allowing too much movement on the 2 pipes, which then breaks up and leaks. May be the cause of sudden LHM dump on the roads [xx(].
The pipes are not sealed on the ram end, possibly why they break up as the joint is then too rigid.