zx td engine noisy

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zxb29
My Cars:

zx td engine noisy

Post by zxb29 »

Hi All
This is my first post.
Firstly ive been going through these forums for the past 2 years and would like to thank everyone whose postings have helped fixed my problems.
Now to my problem.
I have a ZX TD Aura almost at 139k running very nice and quick but seems that the engine has got very noisy or loud, this noise seems to be coming from the alternator area. i have tried to spray some wd40 on the alternator pully or cog and on the adjuster itself and seems to have made the noise quiet but keeps coming back
Any ideas what i need to change
Thanks in Advance
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Could be the belt tensioner.My Xantia had exactly the same problem a 2 yrs ago.Sprayed it with wd 40 & it would go for a while,then come back again.I would presume its the same set up on yours but without the hydraulic pump.Have a look behind the alternator,follow the belt & you should see where the belt goes around the tensioner.Have a look at that.On mine,you could see that it was wobbling a fair bit.After i had it changed,the difference was great.It was SO quiet.Have a look at that first.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I changed the belt tensioner on my Xantia TD last week and it made a huge difference too. I never realised the rattling/chattering noise was coming from the tensioner, not the engine. It seems so quiet now [:D]
zxb29
My Cars:

Post by zxb29 »

Thank you very much chaps will give it a try on the weekend, on some days it sounds so noisy feels like im driving a miniture hgv truck !
Any idea roughly how long this wold take to change as the space between the side of the engine is quite tight.