What to buy now

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

/* the BX has crappy struts and sh!tful seats and pedals (bloody painful for any distance*/ Can't agree Shane my old BX did have its struts replaced but tehreafter it was fine. Seats were best I ahd ever ahd - great for long journey (BX turbo d)
my Xantia HDi steers true and is very comfortable long distance.
all personal taste I guess
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Steering is bloody awful, follows cambers and must be steered like any other car.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Dies this mean you don't have to steer a CX like any other car?- If so I will get one just to come back from the pub in, rather than bother with those pesky minicabs[:)]!!!
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

DoubleChevron, I've seen a CX 25 TRD Turbo II from 87, 120Hp, average condition, for 4000Eur.
What do you say? Shoud I sell my Xantia HDi and buy it?
http://www.citroen-cxclub.nl/advertenties.htm
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Good site, that. I might end up much poorer!
Don't do it! If you think that an Activa is likely to be troublesome, avoid the CX.
Me, I'd have one and just keep throwing money at it until it stopped going wrong, had I the money! Totally practical estate car with enough room (to hold a wedding reception in)and just so beautiful.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

So, DoubleChevron was not telling the whole truth about CX reliability... [}:)]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Glad I started this topic, our biggest this year almost! Drifting in and out of topic nicely.[:D]
Anyway, I'm spending the Xsara money on my house and buying a BX TD! [:D]I'm going to chuck some money at it first off and do all the discs, pads, handbrake cables, spheres, hydraflush and a new rad in one weekend hit, with full story and pics (just to show that I still can!) I'm looking forward to that. I'll follow that up with timing belt, water pump, then anything else that needs doing such as arm bearings, droplinks and the like. I'll try and do it like one of those restoration features that you read about in the Classic Car mags!!!
When it gets REALLY nasty I might even consider changing the dreaded "3 braided pipes" at the back of the engine. This BX could keep us in topics and posts for months folks.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Dies this mean you don't have to steer a CX like any other car?- If so I will get one just to come back from the pub in, rather than bother with those pesky minicabs!!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
We have quite a few roads that change camber, if you take your hands off the steering wheel in a Xantia or BX the car will immediatly drift the direction of the road camber. ie: you must really *drive* the car at all times.
A CX/DS/GS/SM/**real car** that has proper suspension design, camber of the road is irrelivant, as is the tires under the car (doens't matter how bad they are --my Xantia is pulling strongly to the left at the moment which I'm sure is suspect tires on the front of it).
Massive craters cunningly disguised as pot holes in mid corner etc... NONE of them influance a CX/DS/GS/SM/**real car**. Infact in these cars, so exceptional is there suspension design and setup if you take your hands of the steering wheel and run over a spike in the road (instantly shredding a front tire) the car will not even swerve, it'll just keep driving straight while the shreded steel belts of the tire starts destroying the surrounding body panels (I've seen this on a number of DS's).
Don't get me wrong, I think BX's and Xantias are bloody brilliant, I do own one of each, there is just so much more expectations after driving the early cars.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">DoubleChevron, I've seen a CX 25 TRD Turbo II from 87, 120Hp, average condition, for 4000Eur.
What do you say? Shoud I sell my Xantia HDi and buy it?
http://www.citroen-cxclub.nl/advertenties.htm
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes, immediatly sell your car and go and purchase that CX[}:)][:D][:p]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">So, DoubleChevron was not telling the whole truth about CX reliability...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I have done countless miles in CX's and they are an exceptionally tough vehicle. I've NEVER been broken down to the point where the car hasn't got home under it's own power (I've been driving these cars for 12years).
Having said that these cars are getting old. My current CX2500 GTi Turbo certainly has NOT been a picture of reliablity. I did a stupid thing and purchased a car that had spent the first 10years of it's life in the UK [:(] I've had many issues with this car and every single one of them has been electrical. The wiring and electrical connectors on the car are simply a nightmare. This car is currently still not running as I think it has injection computer problems (anyone have a CX2500 GTi Turbo I series II injection computer they are willing to part with ?????????).
I WILL get my precious CX turbo running reliably, even if I have to re-wire the whole bloody car (yes I am a stubborn @sshole[8D][:o)]).
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">/* the BX has crappy struts and sh!tful seats and pedals (bloody painful for any distance*/ Can't agree Shane my old BX did have its struts replaced but tehreafter it was fine. Seats were best I ahd ever ahd - great for long journey (BX turbo d)
my Xantia HDi steers true and is very comfortable long distance.
all personal taste I guess<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Let me explain a little better. The BX suspension is quite soft for what I consider to be basically a lightweight little sports car. The suspension isn't the problem, it's the driving position. The seats are bloody terrible, at least the seats fitted to the BX19TRI's sold out here. They have a stupid 'rotary knob' type adjustment on the lower cushion to adjust the seat with. These seats have zero lower back support, and the rear of the seat can't be adjusted vertically enough for my 'vertically challenged' (ie: shortarse) wife. This and the fact your must hold your leg in the most painful position in order to keep your foot on the accelerator position leads to a very painful trip if you need to drive any distance. It stuffed my wifes lower back and started giving her leg cramps everytime she drive the car any distance (at the ripe old age of 21 [:0]). I have fitted a Renault Fuego seat to the BX which has helped dramatically, and bent the sh!t out of the accelerator, but it's still painful leading to leg cramps from holding your foot up on the accelerator.
seeya,
Shane L.
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

I will really look forward to hearing about your adventures with the BX, Jon. They are a fun car. They were never very popular in New Zealand except among enthusiast for the marque so we don't see many driving around. Without exception the people who drive mine, people who would not buy Citroen or diesel, are very surprised at how nice these cars are to drive and how well they ride out on the highway.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Well Jon, good luck with the BX, but watch out for trucks - BX's don't take kindly to being hit by them (or Armco for that matter).
Shane has apparantly never driven an XM V6 24 with diravi - otherwise it should definitely be included in his list of "real cits". Whats more, they are the cheapest luxury saloon you can buy at the moment - a full leather one for less than £600 over here in Sweden.
Anyone who has ever driven on the old french "route nationals" (showing my age - ME??) knows why Citroën invented the diravi steering!!
//NiSk
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

Your only answer is an Alfa 166 JTD. Stunning performance(chipped), put together well (even the electric’s are rock solid reliable), Handle beautifully. All the Toys you could ever ask for I(electric heated seats, satnav, you name it it’s got it). You can pick one up for around 5K (2000 model). The only down side is that you will have to run it till it dies, as its depreciation is to say the least excessive.
RICAMBI ORIGINALI!!!!!
And if you need parts I can get them cheaper than Ford equivalents in the UK!!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Jon: the first things to do with a BX are to change the oil and all the filters, then the belts. Check the tracking, too. Set up nicely, they steer well, otherwise they chase the camber.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

hmmm, bit of a tinny choice for someone concerned about safety! 800 a week is a lot of miles so the BX is probably better as a side project, but what do I know!! [:o)]
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »