What to buy now

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

What to buy now

Post by Jon »

OK
Looks like I need to buy another car. Heres my list of priorities:
1) Reliable vehicle, diesel preferred capable of 800 mile weeks
2) Good economy
3) Not too slow! Must be fairly enjoyable to drive.
4) Toys (aircon, ABS, remote locking etc) desirable
5) Must have 4 doors.
Budget £5k ish.
Has anyone got any sensible, or off the wall suggestions? I don't know if I want another Xsara, but maybe needs must.[xx(]
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Personally I'd go for a late model Xantia HDi 110 SX, or Exclusive if you can find one. Its possibly a bit bigger car than you want though?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

You would be looking for another Citroen though Jon???Or maybe another French brand?Or the possibility of a non french car?!?![:0]I have been considering a Pug 406 HDI lately.Prices have come down a fair bit since the 407 came out.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

What about a C5? early one that is. Should ahve had all the problems ironed out by now.
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

C'mon Jon, you know you want another ZX...
Seriously though, if the ZX is too old, and the Xantia too big I would suggest considering a HDI 306. Same driving pleasure as the ZX, the HDI engine and lots of bells and whistles. Personally I'd go with the ZX though...
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Xantia HDi Exclusive
Or another Berlingo!!!
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

What about something a little off the wall like an LPG Xantia??
If it's to be non-French, try a (don't laugh) Skoda Octavia TDi - just a VW Bora in drag but Skoda depreciation! I had a Bora TDi PD 100 (all 90bhp+ VW TD's are chippable....trade in that Dragon box for a VW one...) which would not return worse than 47mpg and it was thrashed to within an inch of its life. No problems doing 24k in 11 mnths.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hmmmmmmmmm...............................
Someone offered me a Seat Toledo today, 1.9TDi quite cheap but I could not bring myself.
I'd quite like a Xantia HDi 110BHP but have this nasty feeling that it would depreciate like a piano falling out of a 10 story building. Comfortable, and a nice drive I must admit though!
I find the C5 fascinating yet scary. I'm going to drive one though.
Xsara I'm in two minds about, the pain in the ass drivers seat after more than 2 hours, the heavy feel, I don't know if I need another one right now.
Berlingo (or Flamingo as my 3 year old calls it) continues to impress. Took it up to Brum and back today, not that bad on diesel considering the strong winds, nice car to drive and the seat is comfy! Also revs through the gears like a thing possessed and holds very good m-way speeds. I'll see what £5k can buy in the way of an HDi, but have this feeling that they are very few and far between at this level.
Now, if there was such a thing as a galvanised, flat 4 GSA turbo diesel with PAS I'd be first in the queue, money no object!!
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

1. Xantia HDi 110 Exclusive (pref. from 00-01). It may depreciate, but you will not be interested in selling it...
2. XM 2.1td (pref. from 97-00). Ride/comfort is superb. Seats are better than Xantia's. Depreciation is like a truck falling from a 50 story building, but that's good, since you'll buy it cheap. It is possible to chip tuning. Engine is reliable and easy to maintain. For suspension maintenance post here and pick the solutions...[;)]
3. C5 2.0HDi (pref. from 03 up). Identical to Xantia in many things. Loses on style, teething (minor) complications, driving pleasure. Still, a good option.
I would forget XSara, 406, Laguna, and all the other cars without an hydropneumatic suspension. [xx(][xx(][xx(]
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

For that kind of money my first choice would be an Audi A4 1.9TDi
110.Ok it would be R-S reg but they have everything you need ,including very low depreciation,great to drive,economy at 53 mpg , great reliability and of course the badge.
However it wouldn`t have hydropn. suspension but a very comfortable drive all the same.Then there`s the Avant - even better.
Am I allowed to mention non -Citroen cars on this forum? Maybe I`m revealing a bit of my German origins here.....
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The resale values of the Xsara, Xantia and C5 will all plummet like a stone, but the Xantia has the advantage of being more interesting than the Xsara and less complicated than the C5. Plus Xantias have already taken a huge hit in value since the C5 was launched. For the Xsara thats yet to come when its replaced by the C4 soon.
I paid £4000 for my Xantia just over 4 years ago, but I'm already on course to get at least 5 years total use out of it, so I don't care that much if its worth bugger all in a year or two. I know plenty of people who've bought new cars and lost far more than £4000 in the first year alone.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">OK
Looks like I need to buy another car. Heres my list of priorities:
1) Reliable vehicle, diesel preferred capable of 800 mile weeks
2) Good economy
3) Not too slow! Must be fairly enjoyable to drive.
4) Toys (aircon, ABS, remote locking etc) desirable
5) Must have 4 doors.
Budget £5k ish.
Has anyone got any sensible, or off the wall suggestions? I don't know if I want another Xsara, but maybe needs must.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Why do I keep hearing in my head --This $$$ would buy 4 perfect Machonics converted CX2500 GTi Turbo II's [:D]
1. Yes it's reliable, just remove anything that has an electrical wire to it (bloody citroen electrics [:(!] ).
2. Very economical given the power available
3. Not to slow ......... I don't think you'll need to worry there [}:)] [}:)] [:0]
4. Yep, has everything mentioned and trip computers etc.... (which of course means a lot more ****ty electrical problems[xx(])
5. Yep, 4 doors, and hey it's got a bonnet and bootlid (and sunroof) as well !!
Well you wanted an "off the wall" suggestion[:D] [}:)] [:p] [:o)]
Nah ?? Well how about a Series I BX16valve, or Renault 5 GT turbo, c'mon you guys get all the fun cars over there and no-one seems to want them [:(] [V]
Then we have 24valve V6 XM's (they seem to be worth nothing over there). If only we had your selection of cars to choose from[8D]
seeya,
Shane L.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Jon...
Am i given to understand the Xsara is bent? After all that fettling getting it to drive right!
Oh dear.[:(]
Well, im in the market for a new(er) car too, and even considered a 1.8 D Ford Fester on the grounds it was cheap and cheery to run, but discounted it on the fact its a Ford and its 4rse numbingly uncomfotable.
You could have my ZX if you like its only done 166000 and had several very large dents in the bodywork, wooly brakes, dicky central locking, no dash lights (attractive isnt it!)
Hope you were all ok after your little trip to armaco city.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Blingo. How cool are 2 going to look up the drive. Then again, it could look like a van rental company[:D][}:)][:o)]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">You could have my ZX if you like its only done 166000 and had several very large dents in the bodywork, wooly brakes, dicky central locking, no dash lights (attractive isnt it!)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I believe the phrase is 'needs slight attention' [;)]