xsara owners

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

'Xsaras are S*it'. No lecture intended I think that the plurel of Xsara which you have used looks like you mean all Xsaras. Plenty of people have driven loads of different car models and personally I wouldn't have another Rover car if they were the last car on earth. But that doesn't mean all Rover cars are bad just the ones I had.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Oi! My BX is reliable-(touch wood) I'm with Jon on this. there aren't many ordinary cars that need discs all round. If it doesn't stop then something is wrong.
(This can often be caused by SLBs who fit oversized tyres because they know better than the designers of the cars with their billion pound budgets and Kray supercomputers.They are fine until it rains.) There is a good case for retaining the drums as lower pedal pressures will be needed to stop the car than are necessary with discs.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">There is a good case for retaining the drums as lower pedal pressures will be needed to stop the car than are necessary with discs.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I am always surprised how few folk know that, Tom. The only advantages of discs are mechanical simplicity and resistance to fade. Servos were only really needed when discs appeared on cars.
I take it that the originator of the post has now ducked out?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

What about the absence of the judder and grab that you used to get with drums?
Drums give a servo effect by their design, which makes them good for parking brakes but not so good for smooth controlled braking.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Mike: The incompetent bit was aimed at the general level of driving these days :) Anyway ive found the solution to people doing 40 in 60 limits. I went to the Autocar sideways day at brands hatch today and went there in my friends V8 Westfield. 425bhp/ton compared to my zx's 140 ish. The acceleration is just totally unbelievable, even in 5th gear and in 2nd well...felt like the world was going to end lol. Time to use the credit card tommorow for the visa engine or just aquire a supercharged psa v6 which I saw recently :)
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

What about the absence of the judder and grab that you used to get with drums?
Drums give a servo effect by their design, which makes them good for parking brakes but not so good for smooth controlled braking.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Point taken, Kowalski, but most of them worked fine; some did grab, aspecially first thing on a damp morning, but usually chamfering the lining on the leading shoe and cleaning the dust out sorted any grabbing.
Mind you, all of my fleet now has discs on front!