Xantia clutch clip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Xantia clutch clip

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Just doing the dreaded clip. So far i have the pedal out but cant see how to get the cable back into the car, i have taken off the airfilter house and can see the clutch end of the cable but how do i make it go back into the car.
This must sound realy silly but i just cant make it go.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Gav,
As yours is 97, I presume it has an auto adjust cable - ie no threaded part on the end of the cable inner at the gearbox? These stupid clutches use the OUTER of the cable of operate the mechanism, so what you need to do is pull the outer of the cable forwards and the inner should appear inside the car[:o)] Get your assistant to hold the cable at the box end and then push the pedal with new clip onto the cable till it locks home, then refit the pedal.
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Thanks for the reply Richard, I have got some cable back into the car but not much. Its about 8-10 cms at most. Is that all i should get or should there be more? It would be easier with more.
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

Gav,
I had a Xantia 97 and had to replace the dreaded clip. Mine WASN'T self adjusting and had to disconnect the other end underneath the air filter. When the clutch clip inside the car is aligned the right way, 8-10cm should be enough for the cable to "click" in! Fit the other side again with a little slack and it should work properly again. You might want to put loads of WD40 inside the cable as well before connecting, to make sure the cable aint getting heavy and causing the clip to break!
Hope this helps [:)]
Cheers,
John
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

WOW! I did it![:D] I have changed the clip to a nice home made metal one. It was a real pain getting the clutch pedal back in as was the brake pushrod. I have also removed the spring from this and replaced with a nut and bolt system.
Thanks for all your help, and thanks to the forum for being here to help me through this.[:D]