rust treatment

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mseymour
My Cars:

rust treatment

Post by mseymour »

Things are starting to go a bit rusty round the back end of my 96 xantia estate. The rear suspension assembly is particularly bad. I was going to take the bumper off, get it steam cleaned then clean up the flakey stuff and treat with waxoyl... But is that the best thing to use or even the best thing to do?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Catch it while you can- anything's better than nothing!
Pressure wash all the crud off ( you can use one at the local car-wash ) , have a good poke around with a screwdriver to make sure its all solid, then wire brush what you can get to and give it a coat of rust-convertor. Follow it with a coat of red primer and then some wax-based treatment; waxoil or similar.
Make sure you pressure wash the underside of the car two or three times in the winter, and there should be no further problems.
As an aside, in the current issue of "car mechanics", theres an article on Saxo's of a similar vintage suffering from severe corrosion problems....could this be Citroens Lancia era????
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

On the whole mine looks ok. The only rust on the body work is where there's been some damage in the past that's cracked the paint and it hasn't been fixed well enough. It's just the suspension assembly that seems to be suffering badly.
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Personally I would NOT use waxoil. It tends to sit on top of rust.. which continues to fester underneath. I use a Dinitrol spray - which id far most liquid and penetrates far better and then sets to a soft type of greasy cover. Seems to prevent rust far better: kept on using Waxoil on Peugeot 106 suspension uprights and had to do it evry year as it washed off. Dinitrol lasts 3 years to date:
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

speaking form experience as a panel beater by trade i wudnt touch waxoil its crap to put it so bluntly. to beat rust grind it out if bad or use a wire abrasive to get it off the surface. then if underbody use shultz! its a tar like thick matireal whick will not let rust thru and is used everytime when sealing a job in work!!
i did the whole under body of my zx with it and i have had no rust what so ever. ive also done realatives and a mates lancia y10T and ive had no complaints. remember to mask up vital parts i.e brakes and wiring!!
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

Thanks for the advice folks. I won't bother with the waxoyl then.
cheers
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

My two penn'orth:
I use Fertan as a rust converter - it is tannic acid based; better than phosphoric acid. Not cheap, but their website is worth looking at - used on ships and stuff.
I must take slight issue with the remarks about Waxoyl - it penetrates fine if you thin it with white spirit. I don't use it now - I use Shell Ensis for hollow sections; similar but more 'sticky'
It is used for spraying on machinery that is left outside in winter.
Some folk use a mixture of chainsaw oil, engine oil (new!) and white spirit.
Goose - do you mean 'Schutz'? I use this for painting exposed bits - I often mix it with Ensis as well. You deserve a medal if you have stopped a Y10 from rusting [:D]
Oh dear - that reminds me - DS ready for annual treatment - full day's job [:(]
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

If you blow a hairdryer at it after you've applied it, Waxoyl will run into all those nooks and crannies you can't get to.
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

shultz is what it is bodyline do a full range of it check it out at a brown brothers store or body shop supplier
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<b>Schutz!</b> - see http://www.midwayautosupply.com/manufac ... dercoating
Schutz is a trademark name. Do a google for 'shultz' and the only thing you will find are hits for 'George P Shultz' (who he?) with nary a mention of undersealing!
All that I have bought says 'Schutz' on the tin.
Apologies for being pedantic, but if anyone is searching the www for further info, they do really need to search for the right thing!
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Isn't he Snoopy's dad?
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Forth</i>

Isn't he Snoopy's dad?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
He may very well be, as no-one seems quite sure whether he was Charles <i>Schulz</i> or <i>Schultz</i>, not even Amazon! [:D][:D]
From what I remember of seeing Peanuts, he was 'Schulz'