Tyres Again! Numpty Question on Winter Rubber...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Tyres Again! Numpty Question on Winter Rubber...

Post by martyhopkirk »

Just noticed that the cheapo garage who replaced my 2 front tyres on the ZX have put a M & S tyre on one side (which could explain the rather alarming handeling of late on corners in the wet)[xx(].
Having looked at the FAQ on a few tyre sites, i still cant work out the difference between winter (M&S) tyres or summer tyres, and indeed could i use all winter tyres all the year round as im pricing up a set of 4 to replace the xantias 3 michelins and one firestone....
Its probably a very numpty question, but one thats bewildering me!
[?]
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

I had M+S tyres once on a Hillman Imp (!). They were noisier and less comfortable than normal tyres.
Depends where you live, but do you really need winter tyres in the UK?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I didn't know that there was still such a thing as a winter tyre generally available now in the UK- I thought they vanished in the seventies when normal tyres went radial and got a lot better!
Unless you habitually drive in fields and dirt tracks through the winter ( unlikely in a ZX ) then you don't need them....the difference is in the tread patterns- they are designed to clear mud and snow rather than water, which would explain the scarey handling.
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Marty,
Don't bother with the m+s tyres, get back to the garage and complain. They are reasonable in snow, but dreadful the rest of the time, and, as you have discovered, dodgy in the wet.
If you're keeping the car, IMHO Michelins are by far the best.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Thanks for the info...[:D]
The ZX will on day fairly soon be ebayed, complete with its 1963 plates which i cant be bothered transferring again - just as soon as i find another diesel Xant to take up the job of general workhorse (why is it when your NOT looking you see loads of good uns, and when you want one......)[?]
No im after swapping the tyres on the HDi Xant, which are getting near the knuckle now![:I]
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

If you can't afford Michelins try BF Goodrich. These are Michelins in disguise and come from the same production line. (So I am told.)
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

I'm pretty sure BF Goodrich aren't Michelin, but they're good tyres. I've got them on the back of my ZX.
Nice neutral handling and never let go in corners.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Firstly, drag the garage's managers testicles over hot coals - that's nearly as bad as the old "don't mix crossplies and radials on the same axle"
Secondlt, I've found Continentals similar to Michelins in ride, etc..EcoContact and SportContacts are cheaper than Mich's - any comments from others? I've only tried them on a Pug 106, not a Cit, though...Steer clear of Mich Energy's, if i were you, though - I found budgets better on the old BX!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Oh thats not the best of it with ethe ZX tyres....
The "cheapo" garage used the original valves, i got the two fronts changed when i thought i had a slow puncture (and they were nearly down to the wear bar anyway) so off i went ringing round all the tyre places i could find in Blackpool....
Yes sir, we have two in stock, £50 fitted and ballanced! Top man i thought, little backstreet garage near the Oxford Pub comes up trumps against main agents...
Two days later at 30mph my tyre valve let go - scared the tish out of me, especially as my run includes a motorway stint every day (at about *cough* 80 ish)[:I]
Garage had used original valves, one of which was shonky. not good[xx(], not good at all - another reason why im after a Xant, had a puncture at speed with the Xant and nery a wobble was felt.