No heat

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mucky

No heat

Post by mucky »

I cant get the heater in the car to give out more than a little warmth. If the matrix is blocked can it be un blocked or will it be somthing different?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

It could be muck in which case they can often be backflushed. What is the rest of the cooling system like? That's often a good guide.
Some have a mechanical type valve that is manually operated that can stick whist others I believe have them electrically operated; as you don't specify what model you have, can't be any more specific than that.
Another option of course is that you could have air in the cooling system in which case it will have to be bled out, but in those instances, it is often evident by the fact that the engine seems to be running too hot whilst the heater isn't hot enough.
Always be sure when filling/topping up the cooling system that allowance is made for the heater to be set in the hottest position and in such a way so that the coolant level is above that of the top of the heater matrix; heaters in off and cars pointing downhill as well as coolant only being dribbled into the base of the coolant bottle are common causes of getting air in the system.
Alan S
mucky

Post by mucky »

The car is a 91' 1.9td xantia. The engine temp sems OK at 80-90'
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

And as well as Alan's good technical advice how about resorting to the desperate bodgers last resort, some Radflush. Worked in my son's Clio last winter when he lost heater - it was a £3.99 bottle of Radflush, or a new matrix with dashboard out and costing hundreds of £s. Cars wasn't worth sending jundreds on but Radflush did the trick!
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

"sending jundreds"
I think that Cotes de Rhone has flushed out my brain cells "spending hundreds" it should be!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Either your car is not a Xantia - or your Xantia will not be a '91 [:)]