Xantia 1.9td leaky

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

martim45
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9td leaky

Post by martim45 »

Just bought this but seems the guy that sold it disguised the fact that it has a few LHM fluid leaks! well one of those things..
Kindly[:(!]he did make sure that the LHM was full before hand..which is now all over my driveway.
Now I have identified one leak, hopefully the main one which is the brake hose and I think I fixed it, albeit temporary. But I still think there are 2 other very small ones. I know its LHM as its Alien green.
Anyway whats the best way of identifying where this comes from? damn expensive fluid..
Also next to the level indicator which shows the amount of fluid is the cap which says LHM then the small hose runs off but I cant see where this plugs back into? Or is this as I suspect nothing to worry about as its just an expansion pipe so ok just to leave roaming free?
I have to say its a very nice car to drive though!
cheers for any help
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Welcome to the forum.
The small hose just hangs free,an overfill pipe.Just hangs down the side of the tank.
How much is leaking?Is it say,half a ltr over night,or just a little bit each day?Do you have the under engine cover that covers the underneath of the engine?You may have to take this off & have a good look all around.Best to put the car to full height,then put some ramps or stands under it as a safety measure.Have a good look around.Where does the leak seem to be coming from?Then we maybe able to give you some more pointers.
martim45
My Cars:

Post by martim45 »

Thanks np I have a feeling I'm going to be a user here some time.
I will let you know. Lucky for me that leak at the bake pipe has made a huge difference to the level indicator in that its not gone down overnight. I'm going to take a futher look though
I Got LHM Fluid fom Halfords, does anyone know where to get cheaper?
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

There's a leakoff pipe coming from the front struts, this is rubber and pushes on to a metal pipe clipped to the front subframe. It's common for these to go brittle and break. They're cheap and easy to replace. One went on mine and it didn't take long for the LHM to get low. If the strut is a bit worn and leaking internally then a lot of LHM could leak from this pipe if it's broken.
martim45
My Cars:

Post by martim45 »

Great thanks for that
My investigation continues