Xantia...simple question?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Spinningacorn
My Cars:

Xantia...simple question?

Post by Spinningacorn »

Hi all,hopefully I have a simple question here(lol)I have just had 6 spheres replaced on my Xantia,and the problem now is the car won't rise to it's ride position,guy who fitted the spheres reckons one of them is faulty,if this is the case would one faulty sphere affect the rise and lower of the car? spheres I purchased were 'used' so it is poss that one may be faulty but I didn't think this would affect the rise of the car,I also has 2 height correctors fitted also,any advice appreciate,thnx [;)]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If they were 'used' spheres they may well be all flat. Even if they did nothing more than sit on a warehouse shelf for three years, they could be past their sell by date.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I wouldn't advise anyone to fit used spheres, but even so that shouldn't stop the car rising.
Does either end of the car rise at all? Do the brakes work?
Spinningacorn
My Cars:

Post by Spinningacorn »

apparently car doesn't rise at all,there was mention of the brake lights staying on,although I never discussed this directly about brake lights,this was mentioned to my better half as i work away from home so all info is relayed to her,I am going to see the mechanic tomorrow so any more info I can pass it on to him
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The brake lights staying on will have nothing to do with this problem, unless he means the brake warning lights.
If the car doesn't rise and the brakes don't work, then he's probably done something silly like forgotten to tighten the bleed screw, or completely removed it & lost the ball bearing from behind it. Or if the LHM reservoir has been disturbed it may be that he's not primed the pump so its just running on air.
If the brakes do work but the suspension doesn't then its possible that the height correctors have been fitted incorrectly somehow.
Though the spheres themselves should not cause this type of problem it really is a false economy to fit used ones. Its quite likely that they will be no better, or worse, than the ones that were on the car before.
Spinningacorn
My Cars:

Post by Spinningacorn »

Thnx Nick for the advice,I didn't think that the spheres would have anything to do with the car rising,I did mention to him today that would the problem be solved if I got new spheres,he reckons it would but I am now reluctant to do this as the problem appears elewhere,main reason for sphere replacement was a very bouncy ride in car,which seemed worse at the rear and I was hoping the replacement spheres would solve the problem,by the way,the car has been at the garage for over 2 weeks now(lol)he did give me a car to get by while mine was getting fixed(2.0l Toyota Celica)which was very kind of him but this car is taking chunks out of my bank account,as it is gutsy on fuel(lol)especially as it leaks fuel when filling,but hey,enough of my problems....................
Spinningacorn
My Cars:

Post by Spinningacorn »

just back from seeing mechanic,mentioned about bleed screw being tightened,he then said that when he unscrewed it something shot out,lol,this would be the ball bearing!!!!!!,he is going to replace and hopefully the problem will be solved,will keep you posted [;)]
Spinningacorn
My Cars:

Post by Spinningacorn »

bingo!!!!!! car now rises,replaced ball bearing at bleed screw,but he still got a word in about saying he still thinks that one of the spheres was 'sticking' lol,
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Glad its sorted!
He sounds like someone to avoid going back to......
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

AC
Spheres do not 'stick'
Neither do they affect ride height
Waste of time fitting used ones - either recharge or replace with new (£20-ish)
Throw mechanic in skip [}:)]