Xantia rear suspension units

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lhm_leak
My Cars:

Xantia rear suspension units

Post by lhm_leak »

For quite some time now I've had a slow leak from the nearside rear suspension, nothing serious, but a nuisance. It was joined by the offside rear about 6 weeks ago, together they created a fair sized green puddle.
The car's off the road now (no way it'll get an MOT pass) so I figured I had nothing to lose by having a poke around. Got the wheel off and was confronted by one of the plastic pipes leaking around the join with the suspension unit. Same story on the other side, but the other pipe! Pushing the pipes into the joint seemed to stop the leak, I could see the LHM creeping up the clear pipe which had been empty before.
Are these pipes both leakage returns? From what I saw, they're not very well secured - just seem to be a push fit into the rubber pipe stub on the suspension unit. Would it be wise to get a handful of small jubilee clips and secure them?
What bugs me is how they got dislocated in the first place - surely the system is designed with full suspension travel in mind? Any ideas?
Stu.