V6 starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cheswb50
My Cars:

V6 starting problems

Post by cheswb50 »

My lovely Xantia V6 (yes I know but I couldn't resist it)has started playing up and not wanting to start when hot.
It runs at normal engine temperature but then switch off , leave it for 20 minutes and try to restart, it floods, refusing to start until its cooled down a bit more.
When it does eventually start it runs very rough for a few minutes (getting rid of excess petrol?)and the idle speed is a bit high at 1000rpm.
I am beginning to suspect either stepper motor or possibly engine temp sensor.
Anyone else got some better ideas?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

A V6 is no "better" than a straight 4 - it needs fuel and ignition, correctly metered, to start and run properly [8D]
I agree that symptoms points to a defective engine temp sensor, as this together with the CPU acts as the engine "choke" device. Would defo try this first.
For a test - try shorting out the 2 pins on the sensor cabling. This resembles a (very) hot sensor, thus the CPU will cancel a choked start.
Opposite - with engine running and hot - try disconnect the sensor cable. This resembles a (very) cold engine. The CPU will then instantly choke (and then flood) the hot running engine.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

The ECU temp sensor is green and should read 3.6 k ohms @20c and 350 ohms @ 90c.
The air bypass valve should read as follows, from left to right you should measure on pins 3 and 2 12 ohms and on pins 2 and 1 10 ohms.