Headlamp bulbs/update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I run 100w main beam and have done for over a year now without any problems. I have found that most cars have sufficient leeway in their wiring to uprate the bulbs - probably different power in different countries anyway. I will have a look in Asda sometime when Cribbs isn't full of Xmas shoppers. I run 80/100's in the AX and the're brilliant (literally)! Unfortunately I haven't seen single element bulbs in anything other than 55w or 100w or I would uprate the dipped too.
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

Like to add my support to the warning, don't push your luck ! My Xantia had a relay for driving light where the contacts were not up to the job even thoug I did not use 100w bulbs. End result; Lot of melted plastic and a terrible, terrible, terrible job getting the dash out and sorting everythin.. Therefore I repeate: Better safe than sorry !!!
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

Just so everyone is aware, I was in the Citroen dealership a couple of weeks ago, and they had a little stand near the parts counter advertising that Citroen now recommend Osram Silverstars as a replacement bulb for those people wanting to uprate their headlamps.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

By "recommending",is that their way of admiting that some of their headlights are crap?!?!
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

The best headlamp brightness increase I ever saw, was when I had to replace a broken headlamp! The silvering starts to deteriorate from day one...
Simon Canfer
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by np</i>

By "recommending",is that their way of admiting that some of their headlights are crap?!?!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ha ha! The dipped beam on the Dyane4 with old style non-halogen bulbs (40watt I believe) is far superior to the mothers Xantia...
My GSA, which used the same bulb type had super lights, can't wait to see how bright the H4's in my G Estate are, when it hits the road. One day.
PS, going to London tomorrow in heaterless 306. Evil place.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Just been thinking of changing the headlights bulbs in the Xsara. Been out and had a look. H4 type and no seperate full / dipped beam. One bulb suits all. Any how been looking around on the webb and at £19.50 for the Osram silver star compared to £15 at Ha****ds for their own brand, well it dosen't make sence not to by a branded name. Any how the bulbs in the Xsara currently are Osram BIFLUX, look ok but the light thrown is a little dim and don't go very far. Will change this week and as the wife away having her hair done. Ah me time.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I got the bulbs yesterday.Also got a free set of Phillips blue side light bulbs.They give a nice white light.Although i put Halfords own bulbs in a few months ago which gave the same white light,but compared to the Phillips have turned yellow.Anyway,
only driven it around the the block last night but the Silver stars seem better.A whiter light output than the normal bulbs,& more light on the road.£18.95 all in with the free bulbs,& 10% off my next order.Will post later as will be out,so will see how they are then,but 1st impresions are good.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Much better overall.Recomend Osram to all.Powerbulbs good & fast as well.[:D]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Just got some Osram Silver Stars from a Citroen dealer by my works. £21.42 they asked for but I bid them down to a mere £19 by saying "they're only £19 at the Pug dealers," (super blagger strikes again). The parts man gave in with a "well it's Christmas and we know you,". Anyhow all fitted about 10 mins and talk about day lighters. My old bulbs must have been right old c**p. These are agood strong white light and throw the light a good deal further. Good advice given on the forum again.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

After doing a bit more driving,2 problems have been found.1,the light & beam are SO good,i`m going to have turn down the height of the headlamps!
2,keeping the bloody things clean in this weather!!!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Nah, leave the headlamp height where it is, you'll give some of those company car owners who have those new super Zeon HID (??? notsure what it stands for)lamps some thing to think about instead of blinding every body else on the road.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

High Intensity(?)Discharge i think.
JohnG
My Cars:

Post by JohnG »

High Intensity Dazzle?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Thanks I can now sleep to night. It's one of those accronims that you don't come across in every day converstaion. A bit like Acc or POP in my line of work.