hydrolastic suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charlie victor

hydrolastic suspension

Post by charlie victor »

<font size="3"></font id="size3">
can anyone tell me what hydrolastic susspension is?
also how would i check to see if iv'e got it in my car?
what are the benefits?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Hydrolastic is the same stuff as fitted to BL cars like the Maxi, Allegro, Austin 1100, Princess etc. I'm fairly sure that Citroen cars with the fluid suspenssion have a hydraudlic setup (await hial of bullets for wrong info). It worked by liquid filled units that had a small amount of gas in one end (half and half)called hydrolastic. All four units were conected by small bore pipes corner to corner. The units were 'pumped up' on an MOT or service if required. Later on BL changed to an all rubber, gas set up called hydrogas. Hope this small bit of info helps.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Hydrolastic was the original incarnation of Hydragas- the first cars being so equipped were the BMC 1100/1300 series. It does not involve any gas- all the springing is done by rubber blocks and the damping by hydrolastic fluid ( basically anti-freeze ). The front and rear units are interconnected and when the front hits a bump the fluid damps the movement and also transfers to the rear unit to lift it to keep the car level. It was also used in the Maxi and some Minis ( when you see them described as having "wet" subframes, it means they are hydrolastic equipped )and also the 18/22 series land-crabs (more comfortable even than a DS, although some people may disagree, mainly those who have never been in the back of one...it works best in big heavy cars)
Hyudragas is a later development of the system where the rubber block springs were replaced by Nitrogen filled spheres ("displacer units" in BL parlance ) but it works in basically the same way by transference of fluid. Hydragas first appeared on the Allegro, was in the Princess wedge cars, and the ambassador and still exists today in 2 seater MG's and you will find it in Metro's as well.
It is basically just as comfortable a ride as the Citroen system but lacks the anti-dive and self-levelling. It is, however, a lot simpler and seldom gives any trouble.
To answer your question then, unless you have a BMC/Leyland car of the sixties or seventies, you are most unlikely to have Hydrolastic/hydragas!!!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Almost there in my reply, all the right names etc just in the wrong order of events. Humble pie with custard please. I do know that the now newer range of MG TF have conventional shocks and springs. One of the suppliers of the old units was near me when I lived in the 'Black Country' and the local rag reported how Rover had pulled the contract after over 30yrs of supply.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

In this posting http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=9125
- charlie tells us it's a '98 R-reg Xantia 2.1TD.
Really, I think Charlie means : > what is a HYDRACTIVE suspension < , as commonly found on Xantia's [:I]
It was really nice reading how the suspension works on the Maxi's I used to own & drive years ago [^]
Can you do it over again - on the hydractive [?][:p][;)]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

You will have to excuse me...I am a BL loving weirdo.....the Allegro club are now asking people to save any Hydragas units they come across because they are now so rare and no longer manufactured, and all the old stock is gone.
Its a pity because it was a superbly comfortable and simple system (cars so equipped did not even have anti-roll bars ) which very seldom gave any trouble-there were no rams or pistons or seals or anything like that-it was all done with rolling rubber diaphragms. I would suspect that most BL owners in the seventies were completely unaware of it unless it leaked.
And we still don't know what car Mr Charlie Victor is referring to.....now theres a nice Ambassador on ebay....arghhh...no..what on earth have you bought THAT for...I can hear the wife now......
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

You have to have owned one to appreciate a car with the old BL suspenssion. The wife really thinks I'm mental when we've been to a classic car show and I whitter on about the old Maxi, Allegro and a mates BMC 1100. Like many I only knew there was a problem with mine when on a service and MOT (£35 the lot) the garage asked "you want the blowing up mate ? no charge," That's when I found out that the whole car was lowere all round by about 1.5 inches. Last garage I saw who still did this service was a little farther son outfit in Black Heath West Midlands. Every saturday morning it was like a BMC & BL meeting.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bxbodger</i>

....now theres a nice Ambassador on ebay....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Its a shame its not a Y-reg (the John Shuttleworth song just popped into my head).[:o)]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Looks as though there is still some life in hydrolastic suspension
http://forums1.roadfly.org/mini/forums/ ... 996-1.html
I also recall that the current Citroen rallycar has an Australian designed suspension system which inter alia features linking of front and rear wheels on the same side like Hydrolastic.
jeremy
charlie victor

Post by charlie victor »

sorry i meant HYDRACTIVE SUSPENSION
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Anyone want a 1750 Allegro? I have one in the barn. It's a runner but rusty. Free to any home! Robin
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

You may need to tell us all where said barn is, Robin [;)]
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

I'll vouch for the comfort of the original Hydrolastic suspension - it was the system in the Austin 1300 that was my first car. Funnily enough, it used to draw a Citroen-like response from the fast-fit merchants:-
("technician" sucks teeth)
"You know you've got that Hydrolastic suspension, mate?"
("technician" sucks teeth again, shakes head)
Implied meaning:
(i) "It's going to cost you 'cos I know zilch about it but can turn it to my advantage"
OR
(ii) "It's going to cost you 'cos I can scare you with it"
OR
(iii) less likely, "I won't have anything to do with the car because I can't understand it".
derekjl57
My Cars:

Post by derekjl57 »

Robin:
A 1750 Allegro? With twin carbs, by any chance? I got through two 1500 Allegro estates (used for pulling baots around the country) - always felt it was under powered, but very comfortable. I'd jump at the offer, oly my barn is full of Spitfires (2) Mini (1963), MG Maestro, Series 1 Landie, Fergie TRactor, Midget body shell and two boats. Not enough room left unless I get rid of something else...
PS: The Xantia has to live outside the house, next to the Disco and Passat....( the pug 205 GTI is in the garage....)