Bearing play in Hubs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rashmore

Bearing play in Hubs

Post by rashmore »

Have collected a pair of hubs from Berlingo (to do brake upgrade). Whilst burning the midnight oil preparing everything, I removed the old disks and noticed that there seems to be quite a bit of play in the bearing.
It rotates freely enough, but the centre section to which the disk fits to has some lateral movement.
Should there be some play in this bearing, which will be reduced when bolted back together with drive shaft in etc, or am I best replacing it. If so is there a 'preferred technique' to remove the bearing.
Weather permiting will jack up car and compare with existing hubs. To consult Haynes book of half truths this evening...
Thanks
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Play in bearings is generally not a good thing. Actually thats not true, play in bearings is NEVER a good thing.
Generally with wheel bearings there should be no play at all once assembled. Some wheel bearings need a pre-load on them to avoid play, but the Berlingo ones should have no play (or very little).
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Just called in at local car mot/repair centre. They reckon they're ok just ensure that they are well tight which will take up the slack. Fit em and see...
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I agree with what rashmore is now saying. Just b***ck them up tight. Over the years I've worked on 20k ton (not tonne) presses and heavy plant this sort of thing popped up all the time. Unless it's a thrust bearing, taper roller or oil light bush of some type the side load from doing up tight should be enough to hold it all together and not interfere with the bearing it self. But saying that I've seen some real big BANGS on those presses and plant in my years. As the wife say's best move I ever made getting out of that game [:D].
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

You'll just have to make sure that when the wheels are on there is no play, and no noise when you're moving.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Will clean up, re-assemble and check out when wheels are on. Sound quiet enough at the mo, will see for sure when take her for a spin...weather permitting the job in the first place....
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

Rashmore, a tip I used to give apprentices for setting taper roller bearings without preloads was to get a box spanner/socket without a cross bar/Handle and run the nut up to the face of the bearing inner so that you couldn't turn the tool any futher and then to fit the handle/cross bar and put (according to bearing size) between 1/8 and 1/4 turn on. If it was a wheel bearing, grab the top and bottom of the wheel and give it a good "shake" to settle everything; undo the nut at least two turns and then without cross bar/handle to wind the nut against the inner bearing once more and lock the nut with a counter nut, tab washer or split pin.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

fronts or rears? Fronts are held laterally by the 35 mm hub nut,
Stewart
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

John F. You sound just like my old gaffer from when I was a tea boy. Sorry meant to say apprentice. We always got the s**t jobs for the first 3 years at least or untill another lad started and then you were the boss. Thats one of those pices of advice that I carry around in my head as though it was yesterday, along with stuff (god rest him) that my Dad told me a bout girls and how not to get trapped by their evil and yet sexual ways. Funny how I listend to the gaffer about pre loads but not me Dad.