Rear door windows

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnny
My Cars:

Rear door windows

Post by johnny »

Need to replace L/H/R window mechanism.(Manually operated windows)
Operating cable is badly frayed.
I can see how cable is attached at the bottom but it is impossible to see the top connection without totally stripping the window and mechanism out of the door which I don't really want to do until I've got a replacement mechanism.
Can anybody help (diagram would be nice) as Haynes manual is totally useless as usual.
Thanks Johnny
Sorry about that cars a 2000MY Xantia
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

what car?
After going and getting the instructions, formatting them, sticking them on a webpage i've just realised you mention a cable, so not a BX then :(
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

have a look at this link then, might shed some light on it, looks confusing to me, but looks like its designed so you cant just pull it down!
http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 42610A.gif
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

i beleive its a square plastic clip that you twist a quater turn either way. the only problem you may encounter is removing the window from the winder, if its at the top and it wont come down snip the cable and pull the window down or undo the 10mm nuts holding the rail in place and try pulling the whole thing down.
option C is if you have small hands to force the window away from the winder with your HANDS ONLY, get the window right down undo the rail, put the window up again and get the reat of the winder out.
Evodad
My Cars:

Post by Evodad »

From the drawing it looks like the rear window is very similar to the front one with the hand winder replacing the electric motor.
I think the whole unit will be sealed: winder rack & pinion assembly, cable, cable guides, jockey wheels & glass connection. It would be difficult to just change the cable.
I think the best way would be to get a replacement unit, take the old one out & fit the new one in one go. Don't think it's too difficult a job.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The whole setup looks similar to the Xantia electric ones, of which I've had experience.
I replaced a drivers electric motor with a front side passenger one (the conversion was a fiddly) since my local scrapyard wanted rather more money for the driver side one.
The lifter mechanism isn't designed to be dismantleable so there is no way you will be able to take it apart without getting it out of the door first. I didn't have to replace the cable on the one I did, replacing the cable looked like a very difficult job because the motor housing would need to be taken apart, the metal housing on it was riveted and bent rather than being held closed by screws / bolts.
All in all, I'd recommend swapping the complete winder mechanism for another complete winder mechanism, a new one is expensive so try your local scrapyards first.