Yellow LHM.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

silverback

Yellow LHM.

Post by silverback »

I have been reading previous posts regarding the colour of LHM.
I am interested in changing the LHM in my '99 Hdi Xantia 110, but I don't want to attemt this job unless absolutely necessary.
Also, where are the filters?
The colour of the LHM in my car is sort of 'yellowish' not bright green as I have read that it should be on this (great) forum.
Has anyone experienced yellow LHM before?
If so, does it need changing?
I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks[:)]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

LHM is bright neon green when new, if its not bright neon green it needs replacing.
It turns yellowish with age and dirt content, if you let it go too far, your system will get full of dirt which will stop it from working correctly.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Ask at a Cit dealer first if your car has the new LDS liquid instead of the LHM, as i heard that the last Xantiae had C5 type spheres.
Cheers!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its not a particularly difficult job to change the LHM- the filters are in the LHM tank and are washable in petrol. Get a Haynes manual and it should show you how to get them out- on the BX they are clipped inside the removable plate on the top of the LHM reservoir which all the pipes go in to, I am not certain of the exact arrangement on the Xantia but I am sure it's pretty similar-you then just remove the reservoir and tip the old LHM out.
Suspension has to be on lowest workshop setting to make sure as much as possible is back in the tank.
If the fluid is yellow it most definately does need a change, and it will be best to clean the system with hydracleanse. For the full clean-up you will also need to bleed the brakes in order to get new fluid into them.
Before you do anything, though, make sure it does need doing- have you actually got some of the LHM out of the tank or are you just looking through the filling hole at it- I say this because some UK made versions of LHM are not the usual bright fluorescent green, and tend to be a darker shade of green, and not, well, fluorescent, and may appear yellow in certain lights.
silverback

Post by silverback »

Thanks for the replies.
I dipped a piece of clean white rag into the tank.
It certainly looked yellow to me!
I compared it to some Comma LHM plus I had in the garage.
That was almost clear so that was a waste of time!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

This what you're looking for?
As has been pointed out though; just be sure you don't own an "orphan" or that somebody has used incorrect fluid as the C5 stuff IS yellow and is incompatable with LHM.
Alan S
AWG
My Cars:

Post by AWG »

This excellent picture is ideal for the hints and tips section.
silverback

Post by silverback »

Thankyou for the replies.
My LHM certainly doesn't look like the LHM in the 'NEW' picture.
I will get it changed asap.
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

some makes of LHM are only very slightly green, pale and nonflourescent, it is the citroen stuff that is luminous green. The stuff I got from Part Co (£3 per litre) was very very pale greeney/yellow Same spec as the citroen stuff though.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Are you sure you haven't been sold "Mil Spec" aircraft hydraulic fluid?
It has been claimed in the past that this is supposedly the same base material as LHM but that LHM has other properties added to aid in lubrication.
I'm only throwing that in as I have seen all breeds of LHM and all have been a bright green with the only pale one ever being the Mil Spec fluid.
There was a website on it from a guy in the US who was using it in his Cit over there, but it seems to be dead at present.
Alan S
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

There are some sold in the UK which are not fluorescent but are labelled as LHM, so presumably they must meet full LHM spec to be labelled as such-they are not all cheapo unknowns, either: I had some from Comma which was a dull bottle green in colour-it worked fine, though, it was just a bit boring to look at.
My current supply, however, bought in France is from Bendix, is VERY bright and fluorescent, much more so than Total, also bought in France, so there does appear to be a lot of variation in colour and brightness.
The Bendix also comes in an interesting barrel shaped bottle which looks like something from the sixties.
silverback

Post by silverback »

I haven't actually bought any LHM. The yellowy stuff I have is in the car.
The comma LHM that I had was bought from a motor factors a couple of years ago to top up a previous Xantia, which is clear in colour.
The reason I thought that it may need changing is due to the car being a little reluctant to drop to normal height at the front after two passengers have got out of the car. It also seems a little harder than I would have liked but I feel that this may be due to the sticky height rather than the spheres being worn out.
Incidently, the car seemed better after 'Citaerobics' were performed several times.
I may be wrong though and welcome advice from the eminently more knowledgable people on this forum.
regards.